Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Coordinates of a single vertex? (R17)

Trying to debug why my cloner objects weren't flush against each other, I realized I didn't know how to determine the coordinates of a single, individual vertex.

How does one query the software, or where is it displayed?   (It's not in the coordinates manager.)

coords.png

It's in the Structure Manager (set it to points mode)...

In later versions it is also displayed in Coordinates, but not R17.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, Cerbera.  Here's a followup, but perhaps I should start another thread?:

TOPIC DRIFT, BUT RELATED:  I see the query'd point is at y=24.698cm.  If I wanted to  proportionally scale up the object such that y=25.000cm for that point, I should multiply everything by 1.0122, but I've realized that the Scale Tool doesn't really work as I expected (ie, as I'm used to): while I was finally able to get the xyz fields unghosted, I  didn't see an "Apply" button or the like....

(iow, I'm surprised there's just not an obvious simple way to scale everything up by a given factor: sometimes a powerful tool can obscure simple operations.)

Sorry for the nattering, but it's always surprising when one's assumptions turn out to be false.   Time to do noobie/basic research.  😫🙂

(To that end, I'm watching this:  https://lesterbanks.com/2017/08/easily-scale-proportionally-c4d/ )

• Topic Author
  • This screenie might explain my confusion:   I'd like the indicated vertex to be at y=25,  so in the attributes mgr I've entered a scaling factor of 1.012 (for the entire object).

In world space this (probably) moved the vertex to y=24, but that lingering  1.012 in the scale boxes bugs me, and the Structures window indicates that the vertex is probably still "at home" at y=24.698.

What I'd like to accomplish is for that vertex (and all the vertices proportionately) be at y=25 and the transformation boxes to be at 1.

How do I do that?  THANKS.

Transform.png

RE: What I'd like to accomplish is for that vertex (and all the vertices proportionately) be at y=25 
    That's relatively simple. 
    1) Select the points
    2) Go to the Set Point Value command 
    3) Set Coordinate System as desired (object or world)
    4) Change the Y from Leave to Set 
    5) Enter the value (i.e. 25 cm)
    6) Hit Apply

4 hours ago, jericsynrgy said:

This screenie might explain my confusion:   I'd like the indicated vertex to be at y=25,  so in the attributes mgr I've entered a scaling factor of 1.012 (for the entire object).

In world space this (probably) moved the vertex to y=24, but that lingering  1.012 in the scale boxes bugs me, and the Structures window indicates that the vertex is probably still "at home" at y=24.698.

What I'd like to accomplish is for that vertex (and all the vertices proportionately) be at y=25 and the transformation boxes to be at 1.

How do I do that?  THANKS.

Transform.png

First of all, try to avoid anything but a solid 1 in the scales of the coordinate system. This is not just a simple scaling but a manipulation of the basic coordinate system. In short, you are not transforming the points, but the very space they exist in. That is the reason why your scale factor stays at 1.012 and your vertex stays at 24.698... and if you're not knowing what the effects of that is, you may get some nasty surprises.

Second, be aware of the currently set mode (Model vs. Object) if you apply the scale tool. If the mode is Object, the scale tool will influence the coordinate system (and therefore change the scale factor in the Coord tab) - as stated, you don't want that. If the mode is Model, then the points will be moved individually inside the existing coordinate system, which is what you want.

Unfortunately, when you enter values in the attribute manager, you always affect the coordinate system, the Model setting does not apply here.

So third, you're going to need the coordinate manager. Here, you can work with the point coordinates themselves - make sure to be in Model mode. Set the dropdown of the second column to Size, and you'll see the overall dimensions. Now you can enter the formula to resize directly in the edit fields. If the original value is 367 and you want it to be 400, type 367 * (400/367) in the respective field, and perform the <original value> * (400/367) calculation for the other dimensions as well. (If you want to determine the factor not by the extreme outer dimension but by some inner point, you will need to calculate the factor first.)

Click Apply to perform the change, or the coordinate manager will not do anything.

This works for any selection in point mode too - here only Size is available anyway - (but be aware that scaling scales toward the common center of the selection, not towards the center of the object, so you will want to change the position too).

• Topic Author
  • THANK YOU for taking so much time to answer my question.  Appreciated.