Sign in to follow this  
Freemorpheme

Scaling to exact value

I need to scale this unit so the red bit is exactly 230cm high. What are the steps for doing this?

Thanks

Capture.JPG

scaletest.c4d

Step 1. Watch this video. That'll tell you how to do it with a single poly object.

https://lesterbanks.com/2017/08/easily-scale-proportionally-c4d/

That does work on groups too,  but you will need to use the Size+ Mode of Coordinates Manager rather than just Size.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks a lot.

I cant believe its so complicated. Did it work for you? When I try it the entire thing just resets back to the original scale. And given I dont want to scale the whole null to a certain value, I only know the diensions of one of the components it would seem to be non-viable

scaletest2.c4d

Yes it worked for me. And I'd say this was viable because the Y size of your red object is the same as the Y Size+ value for the whole null.

CBR

PLEASE open a support ticket to request a feature on this: https://support.MAXON.net/index.php
    The suggestion form seems to have disappeared...

This lack of this very basic feature has been driving me mad for years...
    C4D has this great CAD importer... but it can't scale an object proportionally to a very specific size without clunky workarounds.

where's my valium....

I can't get you valium, but I can give you the scene file with that done, and the null not scaled ! So it does work, even if it's not as easy as it should be !

scaletest working.c4d

CBR

It's not that it can't be done - a quick bit of maths can calculate the scale settings... I've been doing it for years. It is just that it's such a basic feature to be missing: lock the axes in proportion, set one to a specific physical size. It should be one check-box (or similar) to lock in proportion and one value - job done.

6 minutes ago, MikeA said:

lock the axes in proportion, set one to a specific physical size. It should be one check-box (or similar) to lock in proportion and one value - job done.

I can confirm this idea has been submitted a number of times already, and by me again today.

CBR

Thanks for adding your voice - I know I've requested it in the past - probably multiple times! : )