Sign in to follow this  
Langley

Strange reflections in background glass

Physical (also checked 'shading transparency check' and changed it from Progressive to Adaptive / Automatic / 20%).

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Will give that a go cheers CBR.

Lang

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Just out of interest do you always use adaptive rather than progressive for glass particularly? You're not the first person Ive heard using that if so. Is it fair to say that progressive is better just for getting to where you what to be cause of the quicker feedback but the use adaptive for the final render?

Thanks

Lang

Adaptive is a bit faster than progressive and you can get the exact quality you deem acceptable, so that's why everybody is using it for final renders. With progressive you can technically get a final quality as well just by limiting the rendertime but that could not be the same quality for a different scene because it would take longer to achieve the same quality level.

Progressive is a render method suited to fast previews but I'd say not final renders so much (as I understand it there is certain render functionality that is not in Progressive mode, but alas I don't remember the specifics), so wherever there are problem renders to solve I tend to remove progressive rendering early on just to eradicate it from my enquiries, so not specifically because there is glass involved.

The model itself is not constructed in a way that should cause problems (ignoring the tris and complex poles for now ;), but it is very dense in places, and unnecessarily so especially if we consider the HUUUUGE amount of subdivision you are applying with not only L3 SDS but also 4 levels of render time subdivision in the displacement (that's 7 levels of subdivision in total !) So that's why it takes ages to render, but I don't think that in itself is causing your weird shadows. I am fairly sure that is something in the environment, but I haven't found what yet.

CBR

I tested the scene a bit, trying different things and I believe the wavy shading you are seeing has something to do with the 'stipples' displacement on the bottom. When I remove them, that wavyness in the refraction goes away, at least from a straight on camera angle. Moving the camera above and looking down, there is still some wavyness, however very reduced without the displacement. Further inspection also revealed the surface of your bottle is uneven, meaning the geo itself  is wavy (this includes the water volume). These are just my observations, but I suspect they are contributors to the weird shading.