Sign in to follow this  
Langley

Strange reflections in background glass

Hi all

Im not totally sure if Im in the right forum for this but here goes anyway.

Im modelling a bottle with a liquid inner but am getting this weird background sort of thing going on (screen shots). Ive checked the model and texture and normals etc but its still keeps showing up in render. Id attach a file but its a bit big even with most if not all of the textures taken out so just wondering if anyone knows why this may be happening and whats best way to deal with? I'll try and attach a file but it'll probably have to be pretty basic so might not show issue.

Thanks

Lang

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 15.00.19.png

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 14.55.00.png

We are going to need that file, so please use dropbox etc if it's too big to upload directly.

One question I could ask would be 'does your glass have real world thickness' ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Yeah its got some thickness to it with the usual liquid part being slightly bigger in scale so it doesn't conflict with the outer glass. Do you have another link I could upload to?

Let me see if I can the file smaller.

Thanks

Lang

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Ok i've re saved the file but kept everything to a minimum and made the HDR a jpeg. Have a look if you have the time and let me know your opinion. I did just try reducing the ray depth in the render settings which did help but then it also reduced the reflections in other areas I would want to keep.

Thanks

Lang

untitled folder.zip

Delete the displacement material from the glass, re-render and tell me if the weird refs go away for you...

Also turn off Exit Refs in the Glass transparency channel, which have no place in any render where you are going for realistic glass !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Thanks for looking at this.

I really will need the displacement as its a gonna be an intricate logo etc but left the base stipples in there for the file I gave you which is also a disp. I had tried that too, turning off the displacements but it still shows up which makes me think its not the textures. Did also try turning off that exit refs in trans and I think it did help but cant remember as it tried it a while ago now. Will try again now.

Do you always suggest that turning off exit refs in trans will always give you better glass? Im surprised its always on when you make a new texture.

Thanks

Lang

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Yes it does help a bit turning off the exit refs.

I found earlier when trying different things that the textures weren't making if any difference to that weird ref in the background but what I was able to fathom was that it seems to be coming from the outside object. When I turn off the outside and render just the inner it seems to be fine but when I render just the outside its there. Are you getting the same?

Lang

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

This is what I get now with the exit refs turned off. You can see that weird ref still in the background and I know its not coming from the logo on the front thats a displacement.

Thanks

Lang

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 17.22.26.png

It's a bit tricky because I don't know which bits you think are weird !

For example - can you see the same weirdness in this render of your bottle ?

image.thumb.png.1d47df76bdc93e85c4c6175b90ad7134.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks CBR. Your render looks fine but thats just the outside part. Turn both the inner and out on and see then. What Im getting is this, attached. 

Thanks again for you input 👍

Lang

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 17.46.56.png

OK, here's what I get with both those in...

I haven't got the map that would give me the displacement on the front, but the stipples are in...

I have also used a different HDRI, just applied to a Sky object, and removed your Sky rig, to rule that out of the equation.

image.thumb.png.23f2b6fe694e3c5bc86be9239901a2f1.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR.

Thats doesn't look too bad although not sure what that foggy bit is around the front and whether thats anything to do with this. Are you using the physical render or just standard?

Lang