Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys,

Not sure which part of animation this should be posted in but since it's moving it's dynamic?

I want to create a slime-shaped effect and have it move on a surface like a worm as in this video: 

is this created only with Cinema 4D or does it involve an additional plugin?

Also, any idea how i can do this? or maybe if there's a tutorial online for it? I tried researching slime animations but i couldn't find any of that sort, it's important that they move on the surface they're on..

Thanks!

Check out the Surface Deformer...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks! wow that looks really simple. A question though, in order to have it animated , like it starts out a small circle then it starts growing and following the Spline path any idea this can be achieved using which animation technique?

OK, there is a better way to do this. Forget what I said earlier 🙂

Draw a spline in one of the orthographic views, then hide it and make that the source spline for a MoSpline Object in Spline Mode. Then dump that under a metaball, and play with the End Parameter in the MoSpline to get it to grow on. Rinse and repeat for other splines.

1411965745_Growmeta.thumb.gif.83cb2f41bb8c209bbb56ee9aeaff2e60.gif

CBR

Oh, and I should probably say that as an alternative to drawing source splines, you can extract them from any polygon mesh using the Edge to splines  command under the mesh / spline menu.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • The GIF you sent is what im aiming for.

Check whats happening on my screen, not sure what ive done wrong. As soon as i start moving the "Start" or "End" the Spline becomes huge and it's not animating as intended..

• Topic Author
  • After hiding the Spline, i could move it as what you told me. However, the line is not following the Spline. in the video below i drew a much wider Spline and combined the beginning points of both Spline and MoSpline together, but the line seems to be animating independently..

Yep, hierarchy is wrong. It should be this...

image.png.af6656a1473652035e52a296403cc31d.png

Also metaball settings for me were this.

image.png.884fe5091b36db28b0dd7bea2c30fe7d.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • It's still not following the Spline shape in any way.. 

After recording the video I put the "Spline" layer on top of the layers and still it didn't work out... How can i link the "Metaball" and "MoSpline" to form the shape of the original Spline?

Your MoSpline is not in the right Mode at the moment (I said Spline Mode above, not Simple Mode as you have now). When it's in the right mode a field will appear where you can drag the spline...

Or here's my scene file if that's easier...

slime.c4d

CBR

• Topic Author
  • It worked! I was connecting the Spline to the wrong section 🙂

Any idea in which of the buttons i can control the width of the "Metaball" body so that its thinner? Right not its looking quite full wanna make it slimmer..

Thanks a lot!

Yes. If you still want it 'blobby' but just thinner up the Hull Value in the Metaball Attributes (you can go way above 100%). Or if that still isn't enough control you can add a metaball TAG to the Metaball Object. Now you have lot more options, and one of those options is 'Spline', which will make it hug the spline much more closely, but will also make it a lot less blobby, so try and see what works for you...

CBR