Sign in to follow this  
GaryAbrehart

DOF Annomalies

This is very annoying but I have been experienceing bubbling in my renders when using DOF with Advanced Renderer.

I now always use grads for DOF which seems to get rid of the issue but it still seems to come back every now and then. It seems if a camera is moveing with a DOF target then in areas of high contrast noise certain parts of the image start to wobble/swell and contract. Is this due to the amount of DOF as a percentage or just one of those artifact things?

1 hour ago, GaryAbrehart said:

This is very annoying but I have been experienceing bubbling in my renders when using DOF with Advanced Renderer.

Have you got an example of this you could post ? Would be interested to see it...

I am going to guess it happens as a result of AR DoF being a post effect, which means that minute changes in high contrast areas may get subtly different DoF results per frame as stuff moves. If that is the case, there isn't going to be much you can do about that I would venture, other than do DoF a different way. Whilst I am fairly sure that using Physical DoF would not exhibit this issue I do understand that the mental render times might make that impractical for animation, so it looks like plugin DoF in post is the better way to go !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi Cebera

That's the conclusion that I am coming too! I am now going to start experimenting with Redshift to see if I can use that instead it might even speed up render times 🙂

Sorry I cannot post an example due to NDA, would love to but I will get in trouble 😜