Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer

Alpha not working in OBJ

Hey guys. 

I'm trying to import OBJ file and Choose .MTL on the import dialog, however when activating alpha channel (with the texture present) it doesn't seem to work. Can anyone help?

Link to download the project: https://we.tl/t-zmRrXoZOq5

• Topic Author
  • Forgot to attach screenshot, oops

Screenshot_2019-10-02_at_15_47_16.png

The problem is not the alpha - it's that none of the leaves have been UV mapped - indeed there is no UV map for this entire object !

So assigning a material to the the leaf selections certainly won't work if you try and use a Standard Projection, but in this case it still won't even if you use UV mapping, which is what that should be set to if the UVs were setup properly. I guess this is because obj files don't come in with UV maps, but in this case its a fatal flaw in this plan, and unless you have this model in its pre-obj state you cannot use those textures on this model without a lot of effort that is so painstaking as to be utterly impractical. You'd literally be faster doing new leaves yourself from scratch.

CBR

You don't have a UVW tag assigned to the object, and your leaves are projected as flat. If you set the length to 0.01 on the U and V you'll start to see the issue. he model is really really small too.

• Topic Author
  • 36 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

The problem is not the alpha - it's that none of the leaves have been UV mapped - indeed there is no UV map for this entire object !

So assigning a material to the the leaf selections certainly won't work if you try and use a Standard Projection, but in this case it still won't even if you use UV mapping, which is what that should be set to if the UVs were setup properly. I guess this is because obj files don't come in with UV maps, but in this case its a fatal flaw in this plan, and unless you have this model in its pre-obj state you cannot use those textures on this model without a lot of effort that is so painstaking as to be utterly impractical. You'd literally be faster doing new leaves yourself from scratch.

CBR

Riiiiighhhtttt. I see now, well seems as there is no use of this OBJ whatsoever then. Thank a lot for the prompt answer!

25 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Riiiiighhhtttt. I see now, well seems as there is no use of this OBJ whatsoever then. Thank a lot for the prompt answer!

Indeedy 😕 Try and get .fbx versions of stuff if you can - much higher chance of materials working in those.

Maybe that tree isn't entirely useless though. The branches seem OK ! Could you not make some poly selections out of those and clone some new leaves on to them ? That way you COULD use your existing texture files, but applied to the leaf models you make children of your cloner !

CBR

Actually, we can possibly do a bit better than that. I am just figuring out a way to collapse those leaves to single polys, and if I can, then we can clone new leaves directly on top of them !

CBR

Yes !!! 🙂 Found a way to clone onto each original leaf ! The key there is to add 7 nulls into the cloner to make it only do a leaf clone every 8 polys - that way, cloning onto polygon centres we get 1 clone per 8 poly leaf.

image.thumb.png.199784adf6e3c224847164a823b5c10e.png

Update: And now with restored bend modifiers, axes placements and whatnot. This is pretty close...

alpha_working.c4d

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Wow! Thanks for the effort dude! That's the reason I love C4Dcafe - people are always here to help. 🙂