Sign in to follow this  
Spencer Fanuka

Question for Houdini/C4D users

Hey guys,

Was curious for those who use Houdini, how long into your 3d career did you start to use Houdini? I've been using C4D for about a month or 2 now, and Houdini looks so cool. I know I am no where near ready to use Houdini, but I am very anxious to start learning it. I am a very technical person, and pretty good at math so I feel like Houdini would be a great fit for me. When do you think i would be ready to start learning the program?

Thanks,

Spencer

Straight away. Houdini has a much steeper learning curve, but that doesn't mean wait longer to do it, it means get started now and give yourself the maximum time with it !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 34 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Straight away. Houdini has a much steeper learning curve, but that doesn't mean wait longer to do it, it means get started now and give yourself the maximum time with it !

CBR

I'm so happy you said that lol. Thanks!

If you are technically inclined and have a good math knowledge base you can start any time. Be prepared that it takes longer in Houdini to set something up than in Cinema 4D, on the plus side you have more flexibility in Houdini.

The thing I find most frustrating in Houdini is the lack of support material.  I was trying to do a bridge in Houdini a few months ago.  In the program I gave up thinking it didn't exist.  Did a search on google coming up with it didn't exist.  Then I see a video of modeling in Houdini and they were doing a bridge.  So it exists.  Maybe I'm just missing where they have a really good manual written to help me out.

Hi

I've used it before (H14 I Think) but watched a very good intro tutorial today, (easy to view) goes into the  main areas- viewport, modelling, rendering etc- and comments on the help ... It does a lot more now, and there's lots of tutorials- also watched their latest whitewater master class. Impressive.