Sign in to follow this  
hammondchips

Terrible viewport FPS

Hi

I have a medium weight scene which really lags on my PC (decent i7 6800 processor + 2 x 1080ti's) - it drags along at about 4FPS

The same scene on a 7 year old imac gets 15+ FPS.

The Pc renders well, clearly using both GPUs.

Any ideas anyone? I've tried playing with the Open GL tickbox, but that doesn't change anything...

Suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

Hi,

Need more info about your scene, can you attach scene screenshot?

Or upload scene, I can test it on 7820X 4.4 GHz + GTX 1080

Dane

I get this sometimes too. Difficult to isolate the problem. Sometimes I find that another program running in the background causes a slowdown in Cinema, but sometimes it can be caused by generator elements in your scene, especially if there are a lot of them. Unfortunately having immense graphics cards doesn't make you immune to this. You can usually get a speed up if you use the Level of Detail controls, or (worst case) you can disable the generators on things you are not immediately working on.

CBR

Something I separate my scene into sections I can turn on and off. I might have the characters and the floor in one, the backdrop in another etc. This way I can work with more detail on the part I am animating at the moment. You have to remember to make those elements visible angle again for the render I forget sometimes and it's super annoying! 

• Topic Author
  • Hi @CApruzzese, @Cerbera @danijelk

Thanks for your comments.

The scene is heavy, lots of particles via a fracture object with lots of deformers etc. There is no doubt that the scene and effect could be build more efficiently, the job is now done and so if I had time i should try rebuilding it, but to be honest that's unlikely to happen.

Today i'm on my 13inch MBP with the same file, which still gets a useable 10fps. Without wanting to get involved in a PC v MAC debate, I can't help feeling something on the PC just isn't working right? MAXON drew a blank and all other pointers suggest the PC is running well?

Incase anyone fancies it the file it here, it's 400mb+ so please don't feel obliged, but it you fancy can you tell me what FPS you are getting? I've stripped out all materials but it was setup for Redshift

Thanks

Alex

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpgqc8qxhluv0d7/Lag Scene.c4d?dl=0

Hi,

I just tried your scene, and fps on my 7820X 4.4 GHz, GTX 1080 G1 , KHX 3000 CL15 ddr4, Samsung 970 Pro, Cinema4D Studio R19.068 , is around 18 fps at the beginning, ~15-16 fps at the middle of animation, and ~25+ fps at end.

Dane

On 10/5/2019 at 1:10 PM, CApruzzese said:

Something I separate my scene into sections I can turn on and off. I might have the characters and the floor in one, the backdrop in another etc. This way I can work with more detail on the part I am animating at the moment. You have to remember to make those elements visible angle again for the render I forget sometimes and it's super annoying! 

I also often divide the stage into sections. I mainly use layers where you can easily turn on or off visibility, animation, rendering.
    Using layers also gives you the option to exclude elements only from the viewport and leaving active for rendering. I recommend managing the stage like this, and you won't have to be nervous anymore for forgetting to include something in rendering. 🙂

On 10/9/2019 at 2:55 AM, Arte said:

I also often divide the stage into sections. I mainly use layers where you can easily turn on or off visibility, animation, rendering.
    Using layers also gives you the option to exclude elements only from the viewport and leaving active for rendering. I recommend managing the stage like this, and you won't have to be nervous anymore for forgetting to include something in rendering. 🙂

Very good advice. taking the time to set things up really does pay off in the end! 

• Topic Author
  • @danijelk

Thanks - That's pretty smooth, but your computer is beefier than mine... 

@Arte

I'll look into layers, see if that help

Thanks Cafe