Must I still pay for MSA?

On 10/7/2019 at 2:28 PM, Cairyn said:

Hmm, the interesting question with this kind of phrasing is whether there will be a R22 Perpetual release within the runtime of still-open MSAs. If there will not be a release in September 2020, people who paid now for their last MSA extension (which would, with the previous release schedule, cover R22) would feel quite disappointed, to say the least, if the release is delayed beyond the end date of their MSA, and they would not be eligible for an R22 any more. While I am not affected personally, I still hope MAXON has made plans for that occurrence (and I don't mean "get a subscription").

My thoughts exactly.
Firstly: Lots of Thank You to you, Cairyn, and to the others here who have given valuable input. I am happy to see you folks engaged in this, even if it is not your particular case here.
I will reply to DMcGavran in a separate post.

-Ingvar

On 10/7/2019 at 12:58 PM, DMcGavran said:

Cairyn has it correct.   You have an MSA contract with a reseller that auto renews.  The last auto renews that will renew are from (mostly) European distributors and resellers in September and October.  Assuming you didn't cancel it, it renews.  MAXON and resellers have the same cancelation policy as you, we need to cancel the next renew 3 months in advance.  If you have an MSA that renews you will get R21 perpetual (already delivered) to keep.  If your MSA extends past our next perpetual release you will get that as well.  

Cheers

Dave

>If your MSA extends past our next perpetual release you will get that as well.  

It is impossible for me to get anything tangible out of this.
I pay for software in order to get software licenses. The MSA was mostly convenient for MAXON, making it possible to forecast incomes and to better plan for the future. For the customers, it meant earlier access to releases, and favorable pricing.
But at the end of the day, as a customer, you have to get perpetual licenses, otherwise it is money out of the window. 
For the time being, as opposed to the last years, it is not clear anymore what I get out of the MSA agreement.
For me, MAXON can cancel the agreement immediately. I will then see if there will be an R22 I can purchase using normal upgrade policies.
-Ingvar

• 11 months later...

resurrecting this thread. I still have a valid MSA (end of September) so if I understand well I should get a copy of R23. Am I right? I contacted sales, but no reply yet and my licenses are still only showing R21. Anybody else in the same situation that received R23 yet? Love to her it.

Olav

• Silver Contributor

In my understanding, If you have a current MSA you're entitled to R23.  Report back in due course and let us know that you've received it!

It seems I'm out of luck. No reply from MAXON so far and my local sales representative tells me I'm not getting R23. If I read the words from McGavran in this thread I assumed I would get R23. Strange... and very disappointing.

36 minutes ago, Olavo said:

It seems I'm out of luck. No reply from MAXON so far and my local sales representative tells me I'm not getting R23. If I read the words from McGavran in this thread I assumed I would get R23. Strange... and very disappointing.

as far as i know the MSA text is very clear. If your MSA was still valid when R23 was released MAXON owes you this version. You have kept to the contract and paid the MSA so MAXON has to keep to the contract as well. That is a natural thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Jops said:

as far as i know the MSA text is very clear. If your MSA was still valid when R23 was released MAXON owes you this version. You have kept to the contract and paid the MSA so MAXON has to keep to the contract as well. That is a natural thing to do. 

Thanks Jops, I think you are right. Hopefully I get an answer from MAXON to clarify this. I’ll try to contact them for the third time (!). 

Olav

I´m not sure, but I think with MSA you´ll get one full release and service packs for that release. MSA users never get 2 full releases for just single MSA contract.

Benefits of MSA was lower upgrade price, Cineversity service and posibility to install c4d to second computer...

I'm with C4D with every release since R6 and I bought my initial MSA years ago after an upgrade was released, so I bought the upgrade (full price) and also a new MSA at that time. That MSA gave me the next upgrade for "free". So I never get 2 releases in one MSA. I got R21 for my previous MSA-period that ended at the end of September 2019. So release 23 should be included in my current MSA that ends 30 September 2020. So I only got Free Cineversity for one year for a ridiculous high price.

I try to reach MAXON to see what they can tell me about this situation, but I'm afraid they only offer me the current discount on subscription.

Olav

To wrap this up: Dave was extremely kind to sort this out for me and confirmed that I am entitled to a R23 license! It will be arranged this week!

Thanks again and case closed!!

Olav