Sign in to follow this  
ingvarai

Must I still pay for MSA?

• Topic Author
  • On 10/7/2019 at 2:28 PM, Cairyn said:

Hmm, the interesting question with this kind of phrasing is whether there will be a R22 Perpetual release within the runtime of still-open MSAs. If there will not be a release in September 2020, people who paid now for their last MSA extension (which would, with the previous release schedule, cover R22) would feel quite disappointed, to say the least, if the release is delayed beyond the end date of their MSA, and they would not be eligible for an R22 any more. While I am not affected personally, I still hope MAXON has made plans for that occurrence (and I don't mean "get a subscription").

My thoughts exactly.
    Firstly: Lots of Thank You to you, Cairyn, and to the others here who have given valuable input. I am happy to see you folks engaged in this, even if it is not your particular case here.
    I will reply to DMcGavran in a separate post.

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • On 10/7/2019 at 12:58 PM, DMcGavran said:

Cairyn has it correct.   You have an MSA contract with a reseller that auto renews.  The last auto renews that will renew are from (mostly) European distributors and resellers in September and October.  Assuming you didn't cancel it, it renews.  MAXON and resellers have the same cancelation policy as you, we need to cancel the next renew 3 months in advance.  If you have an MSA that renews you will get R21 perpetual (already delivered) to keep.  If your MSA extends past our next perpetual release you will get that as well.  

Cheers

Dave

>If your MSA extends past our next perpetual release you will get that as well.  

It is impossible for me to get anything tangible out of this.
    I pay for software in order to get software licenses. The MSA was mostly convenient for MAXON, making it possible to forecast incomes and to better plan for the future. For the customers, it meant earlier access to releases, and favorable pricing.
    But at the end of the day, as a customer, you have to get perpetual licenses, otherwise it is money out of the window. 
    For the time being, as opposed to the last years, it is not clear anymore what I get out of the MSA agreement.
    For me, MAXON can cancel the agreement immediately. I will then see if there will be an R22 I can purchase using normal upgrade policies.
    -Ingvar