Sign in to follow this  
Tinkertoy

Rounding hard edges on imported mesh?

Trying to soften these ugly hard edges. Obviously this would have been best to have been done when the model was created, but it was made by a friend many years ago in like Rhino 3D or something and the project files are long gone. Trying to help friend smooth edges for better renders, but as you can see the imported OBJ file is a mess. Any ideas at all, even if they're render-time tricks?

Annotation 2019-10-06 100211.png

As I guess you suspect, this is not easy to rescue, and it may not be possible at all without a total rebuild. The problem you have is not only that bevel and subdivision won't work, but also that none of the poly or selection tools can work predictably either. Worse still, nor can the tools that you would normally use to highlight and solve problems like Mesh Checker and Optimize.

If it's simple forms based on primitives etc (looks like it might be from what I can see) then it's often faster to just make it again, leaving the original geo in place merely as a visual guide. if I was handed this by a client I wouldn't even try and rescue it - I'd just start again and get re-topo-ing !

But, if you are going to wade in a try and rescue it manually, then these 2 tips might help (but equally also might not !)

1. Select strips of polys (like the inner rim of your pic), and use untriangulate, which can sometimes restore quads in a way that is helpful.

2. Use Phong Break Selection to select appropriate areas, then do a single small inner extrude.Sometimes this can provide a regular row of quad polys along the phong borders which may give you topology suitable for selecting and / or bevelling, or if you are really lucky, subdivision !

Or, you could get someone nice with R20 or above to run it through Volume builder for you, which would just sort it out.

If you give me the mesh I can probably give that a try for you...

CBR

Not sure if this fits your workflow and I haven't used it myself but apparently softens hard edges in post.

Deck

https://www.cmstuff.com/article/1016/edgeshade

• Topic Author
  • will give it a try. thanks!