Sign in to follow this  
Boomba

C4D R20 just will not launch

Randomly, and for no reason I can think of, ALL versions of Cinema 4D on my Mac will not launch. If I click the icon in the dock, the icon bounces 3 times, the black arrow appears under the icon indicating it is launching, then the arrow goes away and nothing happens. I never get to even the splash screen

I have version C4d R17, 19, and 20 on my machine, and not of them will launch. I can also not import a c4d file into Adobe After Effects.

What's really weird is I tried to just reinstall C4D R20, but the installer ALSO quits after I choose USA region for install and hit SETUP.

I cannot think of anything that changed on my system (Mac Pro trash can - 64 GB RAM late 2013). I did not do an OS update or install any new software in weeks. It was working fine Thursday, then Firday it wouldn't launch. All other apps are functioning normally on my system. It seems there is just some very basic and shared between all C4D -related files that must be corrupted or something to stop ALL versions and even the installer from working?

Thanks for any help, I need to fix this pretty quickly if possible. Thanks

- Mike

The one thing that comes to my mind is that maybe you still had a crashed task of Cinema 4D hanging in the background. This would prevent any other c4d instance to start.

• Topic Author
  • hmmm... I've rebooted a dozen times, tried starting in safe mode, etc... Wouldn't that stop any process like that?

1 minute ago, Boomba said:

Wouldn't that stop any process like that?

Yes, you'd think so. After a restart is there any sign of Cinema in your running process list (before you try to run it) ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I don't see anything (although there's so many weird processes listed I don't know 100%) but there's nothing obviously Cinema or MAXON listed

Please contact MAXON support...

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

Hi,

After uninstalling all versions of Cinema, do some registry clean up, with CCleaner tool for example, or similar, then restart computer.

Also try to update your graphic card drivers.

Dane

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, everfresh said:

that could very well have been it. Now that you mention it when I connected my iphone to the computer it said it needed to update something for device comaptibility. It was a 1 second thing vs a full itunes update or such, but the timing seems right.

I was at the point of having to do a full OS restore, so I decided to risk updating the Mac OS to Catalina, which came out yesterday, and that seems to have fixed whatever the issue was. Thanks for all your help guys. It probably WAS the iTunes/iPhone OS 13 thing, and Catalina fixes it.

Or course, Catalina is now prompting me with security warning for things like TurbulenceFD and any After Effect plugins from non-signed developers, but at least it launches.