Sign in to follow this  
Langley

Creating a new texture from a layers

Hi all

I have another one that Im sure in the past ive had to deal with but for the life of me cant work out what to do so need some guidance.

I have an object which will be a glass and ive created a texture that flows around the bottom of it that displaces outward giving the slight impression of it being icey or rocky. I also have a logo that needs to sit in place and i need to knock back the displacement in exactly the right position of the logo/emblem. Ive tried a few different things, layering up using gradations to make layer masks to knock out what I dont want but this isn't accurate. So what I think I need to do is somehow get the displacement Ive setup out of cinema and made into a texture that I presume I can then apply my emblem to so that they sit correctly aligned and then re-apply as a texture in its own right? Ive not ever dealt with baking textures so wondering if thats the way I need to go to address this.

Im attaching the file so you can see exactly where im coming from.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lang

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 18.25.42.png

rocks_glass.zip

Ok, so you want the logo to basically 'undisplace' back to the roundness of the bottle 'through' the other displacement right ?

I was tempted to do it with sculpting, but thought I'd give the displacer method a go first, and that did alright, with a few adjustments to your setup...

image.thumb.png.d63fe24ca0ae633f18a281a806d262b7.png

If you open the file below, you'll see that displacer is getting its detail from the SDS object, so you control its viewport resolution with the Editor Subdivision factor in the SDS. I have set render SD to 6, which should be enough. 

You'll probably want to tweak things further, but I think the setup itself might work for your purposes ?

rocks_glass CBR.c4d

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Cool thanks CBR I'll take a look 👍

• Topic Author
  • Thanks again for checking this out for me CBR.

Its almost there but in answer to your question re undislplacing what I really want to do is not totally knock back to the glass/bottle but just knock it back a bit which is why I had hoped that I could just make a texture layer it up and then have an overlay that has an opacity setting that will in effect knock the rocky texture back a little. The emblem needs to stand out but just having it overlay the most protruding texture around the glass is making it illegible if you know what I mean.

I have since tried baking the texture and have brought it into PS and added it to the texture image that has the emblem on it but now im getting all sorts of other funky stuff going on so really not sure where to turn right now. Displacements in C4D are a pain sometimes.

Not sure about sculpting as not sure I know enough using that method.

Lang

49 minutes ago, Langley said:

I had hoped that I could just make a texture layer it up and then have an overlay that has an opacity setting that will in effect knock the rocky texture back a little.

Have you not got that ability in my setup ? You should be able to just reduce the level of the layer with the logo in it right ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

Thanks for your help on this as ever 🙂

I think I probably should've sent you an image of what its supposed to look like as what you got from using the displacer was ok but its not extruding enough. The base of the glass needs to come out by about the 5mm I set in displacement but in your file its only moving outward very slightly.

What ive done here is an example of what i was trying to achieve just using displacements. This was done using the displacer in emulation mode, then current state to object and then using the smooth tool in sculpt to flatten out around the logo. Its ok but the sharpness of the displacement isnt as good as it was when it was using just the texture to displace. Any suggestions?

Thanks again CBR.

Lang

670994523_Screenshot2019-10-10at09_25_45.thumb.png.a3119c1f49580e7a5f9f25320af3e5d4.png

Oh I see what you're aiming for !

Well, the sharpness of that logo is defined by 2 factors - the amount of subdivisions in the object (or its parent generator) before you take a copy for sculpting, and the resolution of that logo file. I did notice the latter of those was a bit low-fi, but if you were happy with it in your original, presumably the problem must be the former !

In that original file you had 4 levels of Subdivision in the SPD of the displacement channel added to the 3 in the SDS object, giving 7 total, so make sure the render value in your SDS is also 7 if you want to match that, which you could to do either with 2 SDS objects, as the maximum level in each is 6 I think, or you could smooth subdivide the base geo 1 time, then just use a single SDS. I would have to say that (like horcruxes!) 7 is a hell of a lot so if you can do it with less I would.

It's displacing less distance than your original because I had to change the displacement mode to inner / outer to avoid some render artefacts, so you can compensate by doubling the displacer depth to 10.

As for how you get the flat bit I think I would try adding that to the logo psd by making a new layer behind it filled with a square of blurry 30% grey, and then using folders back in Cinema to make a compound mask.

CBR