Sign in to follow this  
ostraken

Lighting a landscape from dark to light

Hello all. I’m trying to figure out how to light a landscape scene from light to dark.   I need one side to be daytime and the other to be night and the light from the day side shines through part of the night but not fully. Just enough to see a few objects on the dark side. Kinda like volumetric lighting. Anytime I try to use any lights my day side looks like a night time scene with nighttime lighting. I want to avoid doing compositing in photoshop. Any help would be much appreciated. 

By ruling out compositing you may have made this impossible, but your description is a bit too vague to be absolutely sure. Have you got any picture reference of the look you are trying to achieve ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • No I go frustrated and trashed all the renders. Over the top sure, but, eh I’m an artist.  Ha! Anyway,  is there a tag I could use where I can assign objects to not  receive light? I might be able to break up the terrain into individual objects which might work now that I think about it thoughts 

39 minutes ago, ostraken said:

Anyway,  is there a tag I could use where I can assign objects to not  receive light?

Yes. Funnily enough I was going to suggest that until I saw you were wanting overlap between the 2 sections which would ruin that plan.

But yes, in theory, if you can split the landscape into 2 different objects then you can have 2 entirely different light setups affecting one and not the other.

It's not a tag though, it's something you set on a per-light basis; if you go to the Project tab you can exclude (or include) objects dragged into the list from that light.

CBR

Yep, here's the proof-of-concept-that shows the idea is workable...

image.thumb.png.9c0edd6303c666fdec15dffb60e34845.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • That’s exactly what I need. How did u set that up

Cut your scene into two halves and put each half into its own null object. Label one day and one night. Add the two light sources and tell the night light to exclude the day null in the project tab. Tell the day light to exclude the night null in its project tab. 

• Topic Author
  • ok I’ll try it. I’m assuming telling the lights to exclude objects is simple. Is there an option to exclude the objects when I right click on the lights? This is new to me 

thx 

5 hours ago, ostraken said:

I’m assuming telling the lights to exclude objects is simple.

Yep. Do read the help files for lights, which explains it at least as well as we can 😉

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Ahhh I see it now. Wow do I feel sheepish 😂

thx!

• Topic Author
  • another problem.  I have grass on a divided plane object. one side is dark the other light.  when I remove the grass texture, the dark side has no light.  when I add it back the grass shows 

any ideas how I fix this?