AlexisB

Rigid Body Only Works Close to Collider

Hi guys

I'm animating a Cube falling on a plane. Added "Rigid Body" to Cube, and "Collider Body" to Plane.

The Cube is falling correctly and hitting the Plane when it's very close to the Plane, but as soon as i start moving it further up it stops hitting the Plane and instead continues falling infinitely. I tried to look through the Settings and change some numbers to see what is the source to fix it but no result..

Any idea how i can fix this?

Thanks

Well there's 100+ factors that can influence this, so we'll be needing a scene file that demonstrates the problem to know where to start...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • There you go, i'm sorry if i'm sharing videos but 4 second demonstration videos can show a whole lot more than 2 paragraphs of writing.. 

I also tried to add Keyframes on first location and final location, then added Rigid and Collider tag on the right surfaces but still it kept falling infinitely...

Based on the youtube tutorials the settings im using are correct

This is the C4D file: 

3 chocolatesvideo.c4d

Hi.
    There is quite fast movement going on, so you probably need to increase steps per frame..
    Project Setting under Expert tab- Steps per Frame - crank it up to 10 or more..
    Also your objects are fairy small size. Phone is just 1 cm thin. It might be correct relating to real world values but from my experience  C4D Dynamics don't like that..

• Topic Author
  • This is quite strange, when i made the objects size much larger it seems to have worked.. But what is the logic behind this? I read somewhere that working on smaller scales always increases the quality of your renders, and i've been doing that, its strange that Dynamics don't work by default unless the object is large, there must be something in the Settings.

But anyway, thanks a lot, it worked!!

1 hour ago, AlexisB said:

its strange that Dynamics don't work by default unless the object is large, there must be something in the Settings.

No that's not strange, it's standard behaviour for a physics engine. That is why we have a Dynamic Scale setting in Project / Dynamics. - it allows us to tell the system what sort of sizes it's dealing with. by default it is set to 100 cm, which makes sense because most primitive objects arrive at around that size.

CBR

I concur with @Voytech re steps per frame - it's the usual fix for dynamic stuff intersecting. If an object is moving fast enough to be on the other side of a collider in the space of 1F, then it needs more calculations per frame.

When you need a flat floor collider you should always use the floor object. It is treated as a special case in dynamics. If your collider needs to be non flat or not infinite you can still help the solver by providing a mesh that encloses a volume instead of just a surface (e.g. extrude a plane or use a thin cube). All that is in addition to what has already been stated. Settings and scene scale still matter.