Sign in to follow this  
DavideBianch

Easy way to add a hole in R20+?

I was wondering if newer versions of C4D have tackled the hole problem, i.e., making decent hole with good geometry (or maybe improved Boolean?)

The only method I'm aware of is using a -100% bevel on a point, adding some subdivisions to the bevel, then extruding the inner faces, and patching up the outer geometry to remove ngons. 

But can't a plugin do this with one click? Surely, by now you would think someone has developed a plugin to make holes, no?

-Davide

Well, the Volume Builder is like a Boolean on speed, so there have been improvements there, but nothing specifically for making holes. And of course people make holes in many different ways, and often the way required is very project/topology-specific so any plugin would struggle to be cutting holes in the correct way for each application. Personally I don't see the need for a plugin - making holes is such a basic, quick, easy thing to do with the existing poly tools - it's usually 2 cuts and a bevel (no cleanup required), which takes me around 5 seconds a time...

Of course there are plugins like Points-to-Circle, which can help in related ways but I don't think I've ever seen a plugin that just does holes.

CBR

I usually bevel points or (and this is usually what drives me nuts) I project an octogonal spline onto my mesh and snap points. This is terribly cumbersome and I wish MAXON implemented a simple edge to circle function (many scripts do just that). All other programs have this feature. 

1 hour ago, Adrien said:

I usually bevel points or (and this is usually what drives me nuts) I project an octogonal spline onto my mesh and snap points. This is terribly cumbersome and I wish MAXON implemented a simple edge to circle function (many scripts do just that). All other programs have this feature. 

I totally agree that a Regularize command should be in Cinema by default, and have been suggesting to it to them for years  🙂

But for now that gap is admirably filled by the wondrous HB Modelling Bundle, which not only does PTC, but more recently does it with surface constraints, which should make your projected splines a thing of the past...

CBR