Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Killing one point in a poly

I thought this operation couldn't be simpler, but:  I'm trying to delete one point from a quad, leaving a triangle behind.  But deleting one point, rather than leaving a poly consisting of the rest of points, instead deletes the entire poly.

Surely this is almost the most basic of operations.  What am I doing wrong?

1 hour ago, jericsynrgy said:

What am I doing wrong?

Deleting a point that is required by a polygon to complete it I would guess...

You could use ctrl + slide instead, which merges a point with the one you drag it towards, or Weld or Stitch n Sew (target weld in points mode), which would achieve the same result.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Well, it's a single, free floating 4 point poly.  I'm not sure why it would require any more than 3 points.

I did use SLIDE, then WELD.  But I want to have a sure grasp of why specific, really low-level operations like this aren't possible (R17) because otherwise they'll no doubt bite me at the least opportune time.

Square.c4d

It's just how the program works. As long as there are other means and ways to do it, it makes no difference at all that it can't be done this way.

If a poly was created a quad, it requires 4 points. If you delete any one of them, the quad cannot meet the conditions it needs to exist so disappears.

It is by the act of merging 2 points that tells Cinema you no longer want this to be a quad. Whereas if you START with a Tri, then Cinema will only require 3 points to make that surface.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • From my point of view, that's a misfeature:  a poly is a collection of points, and the user should be able to add/subtract those points at will.  (That the programmers wrote it that way is the misfeature.)

If you add a point to a quad, now it's a pentagon, or a "pent".  Does subtracting a point from a pentagon destroy the entire poly now?

That there's an more elaborate way to do a simple operation just is poor design, when Delete is such a basic operation.