Sign in to follow this  
Pekka Varis

how to fill a cup with liquid?

Hello you gurus!!

I have just bought this set: 
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/science/laboratory/laboratory-glassware-lab-equipment

I have made a nice glass surface on it with corona renderer 🙂 check it out !

But now I need some liquids inside them. How do I model a best looking liquid object inside these?

Just a simple boolean opeation maybe? Do I them need to "shrink" boolean object so it does not overlap with the glass object? 

Pekka Varis

empty glass.jpg

No, any boolean operation is a recipe for disaster with transparent objects. Do it with a spline (open at the centre point, and with its object axis there also) in a lathe instead, which you can get by selecting a portion of one of the inner surfaces vertical loops, and doing Edge to spline. Once you have that, make it editable then select all polys and once you have checked Normals are correct (reverse them if not) Normal scale out until it slightly intersects the glass. Optionally you can tweak some loops near the top to get the meniscus.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • wow, what a process! Well I have to study this step by step 🙂

Thank you Cerbera!!

You should find a spot in the glass made where you want to make the top of the liquid.  At that point make a loop cut in the glass.  Add a cap to be the top of the water connecting at the new poly just cut.  To get the liquid touching the glass to look really right an ior of the liquid has be put in an equation with the ior of the glass to make a new ior.  I forget what that equation is.  The surface has the ior of the liquid.  So 3 mats total.  One for the surface of the liquid, one for the glass, and one for the liquid touching the glass.  If the liquid has a higher ior than the glass the ior used for what is touching the glass should be less than 1.  If it has a lower ior than the glass it should have an ior in the material greater than 1.  If the equation is found this can say exactly what the number should be.

The normal of the polys on the inner part of the glass also could be inverted if the equation is changed right.  It would be reversed where going from glass to higher ior liquid would give a higher ior and vise versa.

Making a separate mesh and having it overlap will make the liquid look wrong.

1 hour ago, Fastbee said:

Making a separate mesh and having it overlap will make the liquid look wrong.

Yeah I was wondering as I was typing if my advice also applied to Cycles 🙂 In Standard or Physical the overlapping thing works just fine. But go with what Fastbee says - he has much more experience with that than I do !

CBR

17 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah I was wondering as I was typing if my advice also applied to Cycles 🙂 In Standard or Physical the overlapping thing works just fine. But go with what Fastbee says - he has much more experience with that than I do !

CBR

It's not a bad way of doing it.  What happens with the overlap is the light bends more than it should when hitting the second surface and bends to where it should when hitting the 3rd surface.  2nd surface being the outside of the fluid and the 3rd being the inside of the container.  There is only that thin area between the 2 and 3rd surface that is going to be wrong with your approach.  If zoomed out far enough it could be good enough.  For ultra close up and complete realism the way I said is the best. 

I'll work on looking for that equation.