Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Put guitar between 2 hand animations

Hey guys

So i am on the way to modeling a guitarist character, i modeled it, rigged it on C4D using Character, then uploaded it on Mixamo and chose the "playing guitar" then reimported it into C4D. The thing is the character has to be playing guitar, so a guitar has to be in both his hands at all times. How do i do that? Is it through a Tag that i put on both hands and the guitar that makes the guitar bounce between the 2 movements of the hands without falling? How do you think is the best way to crack this?

The video is here 

Thanks!

Hi

It could get complex depending on how much motion is happening between both hands but the first course to try is to use a Parent Constraint.  When using constraints the pivot position of a object is paramount to how the Guitar will move with the body.  Being that most movement is coming from the hips id try to constrain the guitar to the hips.

First step is to position the guitar in the correct place on frame 1 so that its close the right hand, while  also in position to left.  Add the guitar to a null object.  Enable the Axis tool (short cut L) Turn on snapping and choose the option Axis snap, and only have that selected.  Now move the pivot axis of the null to lock to the tip of the hip joint.  This sets the guitar as a child to the null, and the nulls pivot axis to where the hip is.  Turn off snapping and the Axis tool.

Now with the Null selected right click and go to  character tags and select constants and choose parent.  From the parent constraint tab select the hip as the target.  Now the guitar follows along.  

The next step you may want to take is to get the left hand to direct the neck of the guitar.  To do this try as follows.

Again the pivot point is of importance so you will want the base of the guitar pivot at the position you with to be the fulcrum point such as the base as the guitar.  Now add a null and position it right in the palm of the left hand.  Now as before use the Axis tool and move its pivot to the wrist or forearm tip position, even a bone in the hand, this will set what part of the hand will move the neck of the guitar.  Add a (Look At) constraint to the guitar and in the constrain settings in the Offset tab choose (Maintain Position)  Now select the target as being the Null.  Now add a Parent constraint to the Null targeting that at the wrist bone.  Now when the left hand moves so does the neck of the guitar.

If you need a more visual demo let me know.  Below is the file.

N7zQ3bY.gif

Dan

Guitar_Playing.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Woah following all these steps was like walking in muddy water, but it worked!!

Thanks a lot Dan, what you wrote + the C4D file made it super clear. Really appreciate it.

One more question: If i'm thinking of adding clothes to the character on Marvelous Designer, is it the best method to work on your character in T-Pose in nude then import to Mixamo + C4D then do the clothes or it's better to do the clothes in the earlier stages? (T-Pose then clothes then Mixamo and C4D?) I know both ways work but i wanna see which would be the go to for most efficient results

If the model is in a T pose right at the beginning after modeling, then you can use this in MD right away but thats not the way I like to work.  I found its best to always rig it in Mixamo and download not just the animation of the guitar but download the T pose from mixamo too.  Then using the motion clips at frame 0 use the Tpose clip.  Now when you export a FBX into MD the animation will start in T pose then go into the animation so you can both make the clothes and the dynamic clothes in one session.  The other way would be to import  T pose Obj then after making clothes import the animation cache via a FDD file, the old way of doing it.

Make sure you match the frame rate in both C4D and MD or your get lag and the clothes will be either in from of the body movement to too late.  If your on version 7 or newer of MD then your have smooth mesh feature in MD, if not then your need to bake a higher res version of the animation for MD so you get a smoother collision.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • it seems the right way to do it is the longer way as i suspected. i'll definitely do that. thanks!