Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Sweep Object Twisting at 90° Angles?

Hello,

I have a linear type Spline in a Sweep object. All of my spline's points have hard interpolation. I cannot figure out how to get the Sweep to turn in perfect 90° angles without it twisting.

In the scene attached (below), the corners labeled 1 are twisting. The corners labeled 2 are not twisting. I do not understand why and how to control the twisting. The difference I can see is that there is a subdivision between the two Spline points at a greater distance apart. When I add subdivision points using ‘Number’ in my Spline object’s parameters, however, the angles aren’t straight: the corners still twist.

I have tried using a rail spline but I wasn’t able to get clear, consistent results with it. I’ve also tried rotating my Spline’s axis, but that didn't work.

Can anyone help me to achieve straight 90° corners? Thank you!

Twist.thumb.jpg.f6d00c0f64c8e829e63a14fe3c764363.jpgTwist_Settings.png.fbb3a5776612b7a080e02b75a942aff4.pngSpline_Settings.png.54252dd58dd0cf3be7f8d0d11fd3de72.png

Spline_Twist.c4d

12 hours ago, cinomadic said:

Can anyone help me to achieve straight 90° corners?

Not using a sweep, no. This has come up before. Due to a limitation with linear splines (no handles defining rotation) the bank angle is chosen at random, hence the weird rotated results as soon as multi-planes get involved. Unfortunately turning Banking off makes things worse until we get a rail spline out, but even with that perfectly set up the results defy logic somewhat and it is unclear what rail positions could work here to get the intended result - I would have to venture 'none of them'. Nor can we fix this by adding control points to the spline, or at least not without a significant chamfer on the corners.

If somebody can get this to work (zero chamfering / linear spline / no interpolation / with or without rails) I too would like to know about it, because I have as good as written off  the sweep tool when it comes to 90 degree splines across multiple planes...

You could spend hours playing with something that should just work but doesn't, or you could just lock your line cut tool to 45 degrees, get yourself a cylinder and just build it manually in about a minute like I did this one...

image.thumb.png.722e2d1ce88d867753fc3add0f8eb96f.png

CBR

I really wish MAXON would fix this. It's embarrassing. Extrude, lathe, loft, sweep... they were the basic, and core, tools every fledgling 3D software started off with in the 90's... 
20+ years later and C4D's sweep still can't handle this most basic of situations...

1 hour ago, MikeA said:

I really wish MAXON would fix this. It's embarrassing.

I'd have to agree. Although I have seen it mentioned on the cafe before (in another context) I wasn't sure it had been reported officially, so did so myself today.

CBR

There is a way using sweep with few other c4d objects which improve drastically quality of default sweep, but can´t say it´s bulletproof 🙂 (maybe 99 percent)