Sign in to follow this  
Maarten Vis

How best to set these materials up

Hi there,

I've purchased a collection of materials a while ago and I wonder how to best set them up in C4D. It seems they are set up in a different way than I am used to. So my question is, in which sections of the materials sections would you add the images to get the best result?

I've included the example render and the files for one of the materials. I hope someone can help me out!

Thanks,

Maarten

wood_1_062_render.jpg

wood_1_062_reflection.jpg

wood_1_062_normal.jpg

wood_1_062_height.jpg

wood_1_062_glossiness.jpg

wood_1_062_diffuse.jpg

From bottom up I'd say color, diffuse?, bump or displacement, normal, reflection.  Though just play around with putting them different areas and see what looks good to you.  Sometimes you get a surprise that looks good even though it was not intended to be in that channel.

Normally you can get your clues from the file naming conventions, or if you can remember the site you got it from, their FAQ should tell you everything you need to know about what the maps are. Also worth mentioning that you may not need to use all of them - often these things look fine with just color and normal maps loaded, which is helpful as they are the easiest to identify.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR,

The strange thing is that CGaxis.com, where I got them, did not have any info for me on this. 

What confused me is that there is no color file, but I guess it's the diffuse is the one I have to use, since that is closest to the actual texture. But should I add that to the color option or to the diffuse setting?

Thanks,

Maarten

There is no Diffuse channel in a Standard Material - don't get that confused with Diffusion, which fulfils a different function in that context.

Your Diffuse Map should indeed go in Color channel as you said...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Okay, thanks. So using the color channel and the normal channel would be best practise in most cases?

56 minutes ago, Maarten Vis said:

Okay, thanks. So using the color channel and the normal channel would be best practise in most cases?

I'd say it's a safe option (rather than ideal or best practice) that will work in most circumstances, and will certainly give that material a reasonable appearance in renders, but it would be a shame not use other maps if you have them. Reflectance (or specularity) maps can make a great deal of difference to the look of  some materials, although I wouldn't say it was a particularly vital part of this wood texture. Likewise, I'd say displacement was largely unnecessary on this material - so it varies from surface to surface - sometimes color and bump (or normal map) is fine, other times the other maps may be more essential..

CBR