Sign in to follow this  
eugeman

Earth with pulsating dots

Hi,

New to Cinema 4d..

(apologies I posetd this in the After Effects section of the Forum but I think it belongs here)

Trying to create a 3d earth with pulsating dots of light on it (pulsating the scale of each dot)

I initially did this all in Afx just using spherize (see attached gif), but I want to be able to zoom very close in to the horizon of the earth to reveal a new scene so trying it in C4D, then import C4D file into Element.

Overall I want this to have a flat color  'vector' look.

Steps so far:

1. Import map and Dots as separate illustrator files into C4D.

2. Extrude map and dots

3. Use wrap deformer to spherize map and dots

4. create second sphere and centre (to form the sea)

Problems,:

1. Don't want he dots to be extruded, want them to sit flush with surface of the earth

2. Don't know how to make the dots as separate objects that can pulse? 

Thoughts:

Should I try to  place a null at every dot in C4d and use that position data to map my dots around the earth. (But then they are not in the same 3d space?

Should I do the pulsing animation of the dots in c4d? How do I do that!

Too many questions I know! Hopefully the attached images help to explain the shape of the problem.

even if you can suggest any good resources to learn about how to do this, I have looked but its like needle/haystack..

Many thanks in adv...!

DP_World_v2_3.gif

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 17.53.18.png

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 17.53.39.png

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 17.57.46.png

10 hours ago, eugeman said:

1. Don't want he dots to be extruded, want them to sit flush with surface of the earth

Well they have to stick out a tiny amount or you won't see them, obviously, but you should be able to dial the Extrude value up ever so slightly above the other map, such that they are visible whilst still looking like they are on the surface. That should especially be no issue if there are no shadows from lighting involved, which seems to be the case in your reference. 

10 hours ago, eugeman said:

2. Don't know how to make the dots as separate objects that can pulse? 

You can separate the dots either as they now (splines, use Explode Segments from r-click menu in points mode) or later if they become polygon objects at any point (select all polys, and again r-click, explode etc) or you can just dump the whole spline / poly object under a Fracture Object, and use Explode Segments Mode of that to split them into Mograph Effectable 'islands'.

Without your scene file to test with I can't predict if the Wrap deformer will cause problems for any of this, but if it does I'd get a copy of the wrap deformer, and move the dots group into their own Null with it, then do Current State to Object  on the Null to get them fixed in place as poly objects, and that could go in the Fracture instead, eliminating the wrap deformer from the setup, and allowing dots to move in Z space if needed.

From there you would select your Fracture, and add the effector(s) you need to get the pulsing, which presumably you would do mostly with uniform scaling ? Looks like a simple Random Effector is what you need to control that. 

CBR 

You could use the warp deformer. I have done this recently. You can make a flat earth with a plane with the dots and land masses extruded, and if you get the aspect ratio right you can make the plane a sphere.  All the objects are then editable. I found the refresh on the preview was a bit laggy but it worked for me. I Didn't make them pulse, but I created like a laser shinning up effect.

grab.png

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so much, for replying to my 3d earth question, really appreciated.

I'm pleased as I wasn't on completely wrong path with my method using wrap deformer.

I'm going to to try the suggested steps today.

E

• Topic Author
  • Hi,  some progress but ..

I duplicated the dots with their wrap deformer, hid the original.

Made dots object child of fracture object .Exploded Segments and connect.

Selected Fracture object and added random effector.

I have tried tweaking the uniform scale value of the random effector, but its not having the right effect.

when I move the uniform scale it scales the length of the extrude whereas I only want to scale the diameter of each dot if that makes sense? If I unlink the uniform scale then I have both x and y to deal with and it looks wrong.

Any ideas?

Many thanks again,

E

ps I was going to upload the c4d file to make it easier to explain, but its too big (11mb), is there a way round that?

• Topic Author
  • 607348167_Screenshot2019-10-18at12_32_56.thumb.png.7c6da5b25ffd053779cdc82ecc802885.pngJust incase this helps to explain the above