Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

R17 Crashing - likely causes? Solutions?

I'm working on a modest mesh, and experiencing crashing issues while editing the mesh.  I'm not generating a ton of polys/verts, but I AM zoomed in quite a bit.

I was wondering if zooming in tight, or having a very small clipping distance, might stress the GPU or the VRAM.  To monitor the GPU temp I installed a monitor, and there seems to be some correlation between a high GPU temp and the crashes (which I also experienced w/graphics intensive games such as Portal 2).  Speculation includes being zoomed in somehow gobbling up VRAM.

Input?

++
More info:  while editing, the GPU temp rises to ~55°C.  In less demanding use (browsers), it stick to around 40°C.  It's a GeForce GTX970.

6 hours ago, jericsynrgy said:

I was wondering if zooming in tight, or having a very small clipping distance, might stress the GPU or the VRAM. 

No, I don't think that should make any difference at all.

55 degrees is well within normal operating parameters for that card. You'd ordinarily only be worried if those temps got into the 70s...

I'd be surprised if that alone is making it crash.

Do you have the latest drivers for it, and (just as a precaution) have you opened the case to check the fans on it are working ?

Also, have you run any diagnostic software that came with the card to check for faulty blocks of VRAM for example ?

CBR

Please send the crash report to MAXON and reproducible steps if there are any. What you can try in meanwhile is:

- Newest gpu drivers

- Default layout

- Reset preferences (hit ctrl+E, hit open preferences button, close C4D and delete whole folder, start C4D again)

Hope this helps

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe