Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Child inherits rotation on activation?

I'd like to make an object the child of another, AND to inherit the Rotation of the parent object at the time of 'childing', so that the child object aligns itself at the time of childing, rather than preserving it's current offset.

That is: the parent object is already rotated into place, and I'm gluing a bit on, but the bit I'm gluing on (the child) is already built to align with the (unrotated) parent.  So I need it to act as if it's been a child all along.

How does one do that?

Reset PSR after making the object a child of the parent will match Position, Scale and Rotation of that parent, but based on the axes of course, so this may or may not be what you want. If the rotation of the child is already correct I would just CO&D the 2 objects together, double click a polygon on the new bit to select that whole island and then Move / snap it to the nearest vertex on what would have been the 'parent'.

CBR

...upgrade to R21

- here could be used directly while holding Shift child will inherit parent coordinates...

...for older versions it´s not that straightforward...

- use Ctrl while creating child. Child will inherit coordinates. But in fact it will not be child, it will be next object in the same hierarchy, so you need drag newly created "child" under parent manually.

- use Shift. Real child will be created, but in zero world coords. Need to be used command Reset PSR. (could be adjusted as shortcut for saving mouse clicks)

• Topic Author
  • Upgrading is not feasible.  Unless you're paying.

Reset PSR did pretty much everything I needed.  Thanks!

(To clarify my original question:  the child had no rotation, I just wanted it to inherit the rotation of the soon-to-be parent.  Reset PSR =solution.)