Sign in to follow this  
Intenditore

REQUEST - "Promote selection" tag

Hi!

It started with a task - I wanted to bevel some geo with bevel deformer and than pipe it to moExtrude. BUT - I needed only main polygons to be extruded, not ones which were produced by the work of deformer. But (and this is another topic) I didn't find procedural tags for Bevel. And I found no way to use them in moExtrude. And especially, if there are another objects/generations on top.

So, that's my proposal - there needs to be a "promote selection" tag ("promote" sounds Houdini-like and this is not accidental). What it needs to do - say you have an object with a selection tag in your connect generator. As soon as it goes through it, there's no selection set anyomore. "Promote selection" should take it (as a link) and "reselect" the set on the Connect. That's it! Same with null or any other object. Even on SDS - it should select the tags produced by subdivision of the subobjects we are interested in.

I think it should be quite handy, don't you think?

I'm somehow new into the python, my knowledge is humble yet, so despite I could be interested to write such plugin by myself, I have no idea of an algorithm to find the subobjects which are produced from corresponding subobjects of underlying geometry. It will be nice if somebody will dive a hint of that if devs don't find my idea valuable.

Can you attach as scene file? MoExtrude can see only original polygons if no additional setup was done, so it will extrude original selection. Here is a quick example

bevel_moextrude.c4d

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

...or could be used correction deformer...

moextrude_original.zip

• Topic Author
  • The scene is here

The thing is all of you work with polygonal object. I work with Voronoi Fracture (applies to any other procedural generator). It does not work the way you suggest

savoyCabbage_01.c4d

That is quite heavy scene and I am not sure about your goals, however, you should avoid fracturing non closed meshes. Here is a simple example of accessing and extruding non beveled faces on Voronoi 🙂

Vor_sel_stack.c4d

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

The biggest issue with a "promotion" of selections is that selections are defined by the indices of the selected polygons (e.g.). In the resulting mesh (after applying the deformers or whatever) the indices are completely regenerated and have no connection at all to the original indices. Only the deformer itself "knows" which new polygons correspond with the original polygons (or rather, the programmer knows...)

For something simple like a Connect object, the selections could be promoted because it is possible to identify the original polygons by spatial position - the Connect object (mostly) keeps polys from underlying objects. But with anything more complicated, like an SDS, you could not "revert" the algorithm to yield the original polygon and thereby determine its presence in a selection. This is something the deformers (etc) need to provide.

I guess this would be part of a much more elaborate change in workflow: move C4D modeling more towards procedural / node-based modeling.