Sign in to follow this  
pfistar

Random PointClouds with Nested Cloners

Hi all,

I’m attempting to create some randomized point clouds using the “Volume” distribution method and nested MoGraph Cloner hierarchies. In this case, I have some cloned cubes with randomized transforms as the upper hierarchy, and then the lower hierarchy is cloning spheres and distributing them according to the volumes of those cubes cloned in the upper hierarchy. Here’s a screenshot of my set up so far.

Left side: This is the desired effect, though in order to achieve this, I had to collapse the upper Cloner hierarchy of cubes down to a group of mesh objects.

Middle: This the pre-collapsed Cloner hierarchy I started with. Here, the sizes of the individual cloned sphere clusters inherit the scale value the cubes they are cloned to. I understand why this happens, but the reason I’m posting this is that I’m wondering if anyone knows a way to override the instantiation of specific parameters, in this case it would be ‘Scale’ and the random seed on ‘Volume’ distribution.

Right Side: This was simply a test to see if the way the sphere (level 2) clones would be distributed the same way for each cube (level 1). The answer is ‘yes’, as is evident.

NN2Xby7EgUbTbnYF2wv-8AkdN_tYqs3d9VHNIp8MexlrpR3jglJLDhCp4fomnrbs_YrpP3TWQGrlifVQ1ejOYkLhhaS6fRPY0DDpElnCWF5jlJBmR3e8sLa8cQKOdZZ823J_ZS_V

As always, thanks to all responders ahead of time.

Cheers,

NpF

I can think of a 'bodge-job' way round the scale thing if that's any help. You need to remove the scale component of the effectors, which you could do by turning off scaling there, and instead having multiple cubes under the cloner, of the sizes you want. Then each one will have a scale factor of 1 as far as MG is concerned, which should mean your subsequent spheres remain the same size when cloned into them.

Not being much of a MoGraph Whizz myself I haven't had any great ideas about random seeds, but let's hope our MG guys can suggest something there...

CBR