Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer

Corona vs Octane - The main difference?

Hey boys and girls, 

So I've been messing around with the Corona demo license for a few weeks now and found it incredibly versatile in terms of materials, love the quickness of VFB, I mean you fire it up and straight out of the box you get semi realistic results (provided you know what you do, which for the most part I don't haha) To summarise - I totally fell in love with it and will be most likely purchasing the license. 

Now here come the Octane Warriors: Oh.. Corona - bro that's just for archviz..., Oh.. Corona - can't really take you far... and then slam me with bunch of terminology which make zero sense to me. Basically they claim that Corona is only good for architectural visualisation, while Octane (and sometimes Redshift party joins in) is a real badass.

In all honesty, I do not get what are they talking about, can someone please explain?  

Hi,

Main difference - Corona is CPU render engine, Octane (and Redshift) are GPU render engines, which means Corona will run on any hardware, Octane and Redshift requires NVidia GPU card.

In terms of output quality and speed, Octane and Redshift are very fast, probably fastest GPU render engines, and it will give you fast real-time scene preview while making/building your scene, materials, lighting and other stuff.

Corona is very fast for CPU render engine, and popular choice for ArchViz work.

So it all depends what hardware you have, or you want to buy, with both Corona and Octane/Redshift you can make anything you want. Personally, I'm using Redshift for C4D, loving real-time scene preview while making scenes, which speeds up your workflow, and very fast final rendering.

Dane

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, danijelk said:

Hi,

Main difference - Corona is CPU render engine, Octane (and Redshift) are GPU render engines, which means Corona will run on any hardware, Octane and Redshift requires NVidia GPU card.

In terms of output quality and speed, Octane and Redshift are very fast, probably fastest GPU render engines, and it will give you fast real-time scene preview while making/building your scene, materials, lighting and other stuff.

Corona is very fast for CPU render engine, and popular choice for ArchViz work.

So it all depends what hardware you have, or you want to buy, with both Corona and Octane/Redshift you can make anything you want. Personally, I'm using Redshift for C4D, loving real-time scene preview while making scenes, which speeds up your workflow, and very fast final rendering.

Dane

Hey Danijelk. 

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I'm stuck with an iMac so no Nvidia for me (just dusty old AMD) hence I can only deal with Corona. My understanding, from what you've said, is that there is no "specific" renderer for a specific type of work, just like you can do the same futuristic sci-fi scene with Octane and Redshift you can achieve the almost exact same result with Corona? 

I made this with Corona 🙂

@jennifer I'm also on a Mac so I understand your dilemma. You can, however, get an external GPU (also called ePGU) box and use Nvidia for Octane and Redshift. It works, but you still have to get HIGH END cards to make the software really fly. If you want to stay on an underpowered Mac, the this investment makes sense. Decent cards can start at $700 USD to over $1,000 and you would most likely get at least two cards. 

Now, if you already have a "fast" Mac, then you might not be able to spend a couple grand again. That's where Corona comes in. It's cheap and you can go monthly and it's much easier to get a nice result than other render engines IMHO. There are some limitations on achieving certain realistic effects with GPU that Corona can handle. Çertain refraction and caustics can be issues on GPU from what I've seen.

If you have an iMac and not an iMac Pro, then you can only go so fast either way. Corona gives you three nodes you can use for Team Render which is nice, plus you can bye more.

Now for the not so great when it comes to Corona. I've been using it since the Alpha version they have come very far now, but there are still several major features that have yet to implement and some that are still buggy. There are still major issues with Mograph Cloners and Render and Multi-Instances. Some motion blur problems, some Team Render wackiness, but the developers are active on the support forums and publish their roadmap so you can see what's going on. Some of these issues seem to be Mac-only problems from what I've seen.

But the output of this engine is so nice and pretty darn fast that I keep using it and am hopeful the other features will come online soon. We are using it for animation and the only parts that are proving challenging is super bright refections having white pixels that don't go away with the denoiser. It's just a matter of find the pain level between letting Corona go for as many passes as possible and still get your project done.

My profile has a link to an album of Corona still renders if you want to see. Hope you like cars. 🙂 There's a German artist that added an eGPU to his Mac Pro trashcan and loves it for Redshift:  

If you have any other Corona questions, feel free to reach out. We've go two brains over here. Good luck.

I think there is a difference beyond the CPU / GPU discussion actually. 

Corona makes really beautiful images - and encourages you to use it like a camera.  Emulating reality is at its core ethos, which is why arch vis people like it so much (as do I - although I use it for product visuals).

Octane also makes really nice photoreal shots, but But AFAIK can be a more versatile engine if you want stylised imagery. Which lots of mograph/vfx prople do.

Corona only has annual license.  You can only rent Corona.  Octane you can buy a perpetual license.  I like Cycles 4D a lot which you can own and runs on GPU or CPU or both.  Cycles 4D also makes materials with nodes just like is made with Cycles in Blender if you were thinking of trying Blender.  This means if you lean how to make mats with Cycles 4D the skills transfer to make mats in Blender.  Redshift is can also be owned and is great if you have a good GPU which you don't.

As far as quality goes all 4 render engines can do about the same quality stuff fast with the right hardware.  Fastest to slowest $ for pc $ in order would be Unreal Engine, Blender Eevee, Octane in faster mode I forget what it's called, Redshift, Cycles, Octane regular mode, Corona.  Corona is the fastest CPU render engine, but it's only competition is Cycles.  $ for pc hardware $ Corona is not great since it needs CPU and that means a whole new rig per CPU.  If you already have a good CPU or can only do CPU Corona can do great stuff.

I'd say pick one and get good with it.  They all can do great stuff.  The licensing is what turns me off the most on Corona.  As I'm switching more to Blender, Cycles 4D meshes perfect with that.

Honestly - I think it's down to personal preference.  You can do anything with any render engine if you work hard enough at it and practice.  99% of the work on my site is Corona.  To say Corona is only for Archviz is an ignorant statement.  Myself (and lots of others) make all kinds of things with that engine.  I also use Redshift and Octane - they each have strengths and weaknesses, but in the end - it doesn't really matter.

Corona is my main engine - it's so easy to use and I think it handles light better then anything else - but this is purely personal.  If it works for you - enjoy it and try to master it without worrying what you are missing out on with other engines.  For me, the only real weakness of Corona is Volumetrics, and for this, I use Redshift.  It also has trouble previewing the materials in the viewport which is a bit of a drag, but not a showstopper.