Sign in to follow this  
Galina Georgieva

Uneven/non-planar polygons in low poly

I want to create low poly things and I am having trouble with the polygons always creating triangles and I don't want that. I am looking at other people's models and they have perfect looking quads without becoming triangles. Is there a way to fix this? I know about selecting the non-planar polygons one by one and scaling them to zero on the Z axis, but when I fix one the others become non-planar and it is basically a never ending story. How do others deal with this problem and have perfect models? 

11.jpg

Hi Galina,

Can you post scene file with this bug body?

Low poly is the key here, and your model is too low poly to be able to adequately describe that form without twisting the few polys you are using. This wouldn't matter if you had a phong tag, but of course that is anathema to the low-poly look so the only viable answer here is 'use more polys' or accept the triangulated look - conversely to what you were saying earlier I 'd say that every single low-poly picture I have ever seen is all about the triangles and unavoidably so !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • It is a very simple bug. I would change just a bit of it and it gets non-planar.  It turns out I am too much of a newbe....

I kinda figured it out, at least visually. My mistake is, that I remove the phong tag completely. I just need to not remove it, but to set the phong angle to 0 and it looks good. In most low poly tutorials they tell you to remove the phong, so I was doing it. 

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

This wouldn't matter if you had a phong tag, but of course that is anathema to the low-poly look

Why is it anathema to leave the phong tag? Weird...

Setting the phong angle to 0 is exactly the same as not having a tag. It must be the edge breaks that are making it look OK now or something else you changed. But again, we can't know for sure without the scene file.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yeah, that's what I thought, but it looks good with it. This is without the tag.. i think

bug.c4d

Yeah, TBH, it's just not a very carefully made mesh, there's some dis-symmetry, and a few unnecessary tris on one side of the model, but really that one place where you are getting visible triangles where it should be a quad is just cos you let that poly twist too much by not moving the point next to it the same amount.

Had you made this initially from a cylinder with a bulge deformer, then applied that and flattened out the bottom you wouldn't have any visible triangles in render because all the points would be that much more evenly transformed if you see what I mean...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Wow, thank you.. that IS a better way to do it. root.c4d

But then again there are many other cases, where it is not applicable. For example with this root or when you don't want symmetry at all. I know my technique is quite bad at the moment, so I truly appreciate every bit of advice I get. I still don't know how to not overtwist when I rotate. I guess I need a lot more practice.

13.jpg

1 hour ago, Galina Georgieva said:

For example with this root or when you don't want symmetry at all. 

No, for that root you may not want symmetry but you do want a circular profile all the way down it, and that would again avoid the twisty polys.

But TBH triangles are so much part of the low-poly style I wouldn't worry this much about them ! It's one of the very few circumstances where you can pretty much throw all the normal poly modelling rules out the window !

CBR