Sign in to follow this  
pfistar

TP  Disintegrate on Impact

Greetings all!

I’m wrestling with another ThinkingParticles problem. This time, I’d like to give the effect of small-ish spherical projectiles colliding with a surface and disintegrating into smaller particles which disappear of a few frames (maybe 12 to 24 frames). The effect is for a scientific illustration but does not need to be particularly realistic. I see the step-by-step as looking something like this:

1. Particles are spawned from a geometry mesh emitter
  2. They’re driven by some wind or gravity until they reach another geometry surface which is set as a collider
  3. They bounce away from the collider and each particle’s scale fades to zero on all axis over a few frames
  4. At the same time, a new particle group is created from the collision event (based on position and time of impact) and each particle in this group spawns a new set of particles
  5. The new particles explode outward from each original particle (like fireworks) but these would also scale to zero over time (fairly quickly maybe 6-12 frames) and then die once they’ve reached a scale of zero

At the very least, I’d like to accomplish the scale fade on the original particle group, though the ‘explosion’ would be cool too, presuming it’s possible to do with C4D’s native tools.

Attaching a work file that shows my so-far failed attempts.

Thanks ahead of time to any responders!

Cheers,

NpF

thinkingparticles-disintegrate-on-impact.c4d

• Topic Author
  •  

Back again to report that I've made some headway on this (mostly thanks to tutorials by Athanasios Pozantzis, aka NoseMan, and Eric Liss )

So I've managed to get an effect that fades the scale of each particle based on Age/Life.I've also managed to use ParticleGroup2 to emit secondary particles. 

Here's a gif of what that looks like:https://www.dropbox.com/s/alyu0ictaqkaoh1/TP-disintegrate-on-impact_3groups_v02_precached.gif?dl=0

Also, my Xpresso network:https://gyazo.com/a5fbd333a945a53e78db97015f25ad9c

There are still a few things unresolved however. Hoping someone can offer some tips...

1) The first particle group (Group.1 = yellow) hits a PDeflector with a small bounce setting. The PDeflector Event creates a new group (Group.2 = green). However, it appears not all of the Group.1 particles get transferred to the new group upon impact with the Deflector mesh. Some remain yellow and stuck to the Deflector surface. While it's not necessarily critical to me that these stragglers get transferred to the green group, but it is imperative that they fade away rather than simply die out. Can anyone suggest a way to use the PDeflector Event as the trigger to begin a scalar fade to zero?

2) I am using a MoGraph Multishader with Randomize Effector to randomize color on the particles. While it appears the color assignment stays as is when Group.1 becomes Group.2, Group.3 gets an entirely different assignment which would be great to override. Ideally, the Group.3 particles would inherit the color assignment of Group.2. I could be wrong but I would guess that colors are assigned based on point numbers. Can this be overridden? Could the random value assigned to Group.2 be passed on to override whatever random values would happen on Group.3?

Once again, thanks ahead of time to any responders!

Cheers,

NpF

TP-disintegrate-on-impact_3groups_v02_cloners-off.gif

11 hours ago, pfistar said:

1) The first particle group (Group.1 = yellow) hits a PDeflector with a small bounce setting. The PDeflector Event creates a new group (Group.2 = green). However, it appears not all of the Group.1 particles get transferred to the new group upon impact with the Deflector mesh. Some remain yellow and stuck to the Deflector surface. While it's not necessarily critical to me that these stragglers get transferred to the green group, but it is imperative that they fade away rather than simply die out. Can anyone suggest a way to use the PDeflector Event as the trigger to begin a scalar fade to zero?

Hi, you could try reducing the gravity and the friction down on group-1 to a level that will not affect  the speed but will make the particles disappear.

• Topic Author
  • Hi digitvisions,

I appreciate the reply, though I'm actually trying to avoid this as I'm trying to hit a deadline and hope to re-render as few frames as possible so ideally I'd like to not have to adjust any settings before Group.2. 

I'm still very much a novice at Xpresso,  but I wonder is whether it's possible to trigger a scale-down by some means that does not involve the 'stuck' particles being passed to a new group. I'm inclined to think that I could extract a velocity value per particle using PGetData node and then single out any particles hitting a zero or near-zero velocity value, and then use those values to trigger a scale-down. Just thinking aloud here, however, I don't have  much of an idea of how I would set this up properly.

Another possible solution (though again, no idea how this would be done): Decrease the particle life-span in the emitter node, and somehow trigger the scale-down so that it begins to happen at x-amount of frames before the particle dies.

Thanks again for the reply!

NpF

17 hours ago, pfistar said:

Hi digitvisions,

I appreciate the reply, though I'm actually trying to avoid this as I'm trying to hit a deadline and hope to re-render as few frames as possible so ideally I'd like to not have to adjust any settings before Group.2

I understand, deadline is always a problem. Sorry, I don't have your new file setup, so i am not able to find another solution.