Sign in to follow this  
cathor

Spare GPUs // Best use?

Hi,

We have had 4x 1080 TIs sitting in a floor rack connected to a workstation via PCIe riser cables. We recently had to abandon this workstation because its not possible to upgrade certain components (RAM etc) because its veeeery old.

No other workstation we currently have is able to host more than the 2080 TIs that are currently installed. I am looking for the best possible use of these cards. As I am pretty new to building hardware around GPU rendering, I am a bit lost when it comes to possible routes.

From what I understand, most eGPUs can hold 1 (2 at best) GPU, and to get acceptable performance you would want to connect them over thunderbolt 3? None of our workstations support Thunderbolt 3. USB 3.1 is what we have.

I guess GPU server rack is an option? I have set up and managed many CPU farms in the past but never GPU server racks. Where would I start?

Buying a whole new workstation with a mobo that can host 4 GPUs is of course an option but something I would want to avoid.

Any other options that you can think of? How do other medium sized studios build their GPU farms? We use Redshift btw.

Thanks in advance!

Dunno but why don't you just replace the veeeery old workstation components with new ones and keep the PCI riser setup? Motherboard, processor, RAM... maybe a new SSD... you can keep the case and all the other drives. Space issues?

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, Cairyn said:

Dunno but why don't you just replace the veeeery old workstation components with new ones and keep the PCI riser setup? Motherboard, processor, RAM... maybe a new SSD... you can keep the case and all the other drives. Space issues?

Hi,

Thanks.

Yeah, like I said, it's an option. Just not very fond of the idea of having towers in the server room. Also, if I am going to spend that mych money upgrading parts, might as well go for a more elegant solution.

Cheers,

I'd say sell them.