Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Extrude along ACTUAL motion path(Rotate)

(R17)  There are many ways to Extrude along a spline, but I'm wondering if there's a way to Extrude along an actual MOTION PATH.

The difference would be, most extrusion methods seem to ignore the rotation of points along the spline.  I'd like to use a motion path to bank and tilt the extrusion as it moves along.  Hopefully this could be interactive, so a user can fine-tune extrusion collions or whatever.

I see the Timeline Function "Position Track To Spline", but the wording of that makes me suspect the rotation channels are ignored.

Convert the motion path to a spline, then use an offset copy of that spline as the rail spline  in a sweep setup. Now the rail controls the banking.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks.

-I was afraid of that.  I find it a seriously awkward workflow.

• Topic Author
  • Here's a crazy idea: would it be possible to use the TRACER object to track the points of an appropriately shaped mesh to more easily generate appropriate splines for folding a ribbon?  One traced spline would be the main spline, and the other the rail?