Sign in to follow this  
mandarcy

Realistic Turned Tungsten Texture

Hello,

I know that shiny metals are fairly easy to create but I'm trying to get the texture that results from a piece of tungsten that has been turned in a lathe. There are subtle vertical lines on the surface from where it has been machined. I've tried using bump with noise and stretching the noise vertically but I can't get it fine enough. I've also tried making a texture in Photoshop by motion blurring noise in a vertical direction but it just looks white when I bring it into a material, it doesn't look like metal! I've tried other things but I'm getting nowhere. I've also not had much luck finding tutorials on making materials to help me along. If anyone has ideas or could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. I've attached an image that shows exactly what I'm trying to achieve. Thanks.

Turned_Tungsten.jpg

If you are using a version older than 12 your options are quite limited without the dedicated anisotropic reflectance available with R16+.

However there are a few dedicated shader models that did a half decent emulation of this sort of thing. I think you want Danel in particular.

Another trick is to do your stretched noise thing, but do it in bump (very low strength value) and adjust delta down to something like 10% to get a really detailed finish.

CBR 

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, Cerbera said:

If you are using a version older than 12 your options are quite limited without the dedicated anisotropic reflectance available with R16+.

However there are a few dedicated shader models that did a half decent emulation of this sort of thing. I think you want Danel in particular.

Another trick is to do your stretched noise thing, but do it in bump (very low strength value) and adjust delta down to something like 10% to get a really detailed finish.

CBR 

Hi CBR, yes I tried doing it in bump but I just couldn't get it fine enough, it seemed to go from too big to nothing at all! I could really do with some good tutorials on material making as I can't make much sense of a lot of the parameters!