Sign in to follow this  
SwoopNebula

Animate C4D Biped With presets?

Hey guys, 

i''m using C4D R17 so I don't have the mixamo rig under my character controller options.

I know you can import mixamo animation and stack them on each other to create a sequence of actions.

Is there's anyway I can do this with C4D's Biped rig? 

Like, animation presets / keyframes I could use?

Hi

The short answer is no, the longer answer is as to why you cant.

Mixamo uses mocap files which where made for the mixamo rig from the Mixamo site.  The mocap files are applied directly to the rotation of the joints hence the rig has no controllers.  The biped rig preset in C4D is designed for manual key frame animation.  To make the animation easier for the animator controllers are added to the rig in which these controllers totally take over the joints assigning full control to the controllers.  You cannot directly animate the joints as they are locked to the controllers.  For his reason you cant simply apply a mocap to such a rig as mocap files directly rotate the joints.

There is a method called retargetting where a mocap rig is retarggeted joint for joint to another rig, but again both rigs have no controllers.  Its very tricky to have both at the same time, that being a rig with controllers yet able to work with mocaps.  In C4D R21 a Mocap rig preset has been made which has both controllers and works with mixamo mocaps.

Dan

12 hours ago, SwoopNebula said:

Hey guys, 

i''m using C4D R17 so I don't have the mixamo rig under my character controller options.

I know you can import mixamo animation and stack them on each other to create a sequence of actions.

Is there's anyway I can do this with C4D's Biped rig? 

Like, animation presets / keyframes I could use?

You could load your character as fbx into Mixamo, do an autorigging there with the T Pose file from Mixamo and export back to C4D. You then have the Mixamo Rig as a start in C4d which is very similar to the character objects version. The Mixamo preset is in fact a very simple rig without any controllers. You might work on the skinning after the Import because autorigging always fails to be perfect.