Sign in to follow this  
PixelPuller

follow spline and rotate

hello all. i hope im at right section to ask. in the file i added there s a soccer ball with following spline.  i want to rotate the ball by its axis. is it possible? thakns in advance

soccerball.c4d

Could you disable the align to spline tag first then put the keys on the ball. Then re-enable?

HI, if you parent the ball to a null and move the align to spline tag to the null you then will be able to rotate the ball independently. Just make sure the null is in the same location as the ball.

• Topic Author
  • 55 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

HI, if you parent the ball to a null and move the align to spline tag to the null you then will be able to rotate the ball independently. Just make sure the null is in the same location as the ball.

it worked thank you

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, joolsd said:

Could you disable the align to spline tag first then put the keys on the ball. Then re-enable?

thank you

Yes you could, But it's always best to have the object you animating parented to a null for fine adjustments.

I just realised, if you want the ball to maintain a rotation in on direction you will need to turn  tangential on the align to spline tag, and in order to prevent a gimbal situation you better have two nulls parented one for the align to spline and one for the ball rotation.

Here is an example file: 

soccerball_2-nulls.c4d

One way to do this also is to use rigid bodies in conjunction with the align to spline tag so the ball will realistically interact with the ground when rolling. To do so play with "follow position" and damping values in the forces tab of the rigid body tag. More info here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkUdNywM3d0

If the ball is on the ground, Roll It works quite well

https://eggtion.net/en/blog/cinema4d-en/roll-it-2017-en/

I usually set the radius of the sphere manually in Roll It - more accurate.