Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Multiple Animations for One Object

Hey guys

I am doing this animation:

The Camera movements are targetted towards the main object and I added “Align to Spline”, Spline being a circle, so the camera starts out by following that. Notice how on frames 325 to 350 both the sculpture and the Camera are moving upwards instead of downwards. So there are already keyframes on the Scultpture.

My question: starting from frame 278 I want the Sculpture to rotate solely on the R.H. Axe 360 degrees. This doesnt seem to be happening in anyway, if i play around with any value of rotation the main Sculpture starts moving independently and the camera stops following it in a centered way.

What am i doing thats wrong? How can i add 360 degree rotation in SOME moments of the video to the sculpture without ruining the axe the Camera and Sculpture are both aligned to?

This is a screenshot of the layers

1884577583_ScreenShot2019-10-31at4_09_38PM.thumb.png.4c2be8498d1ca2ff27110ae77de0037a.png

And the working file is here if anyone wants to take a look:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f9c85ae7e0e321f9224643a941b8fbde20191031141731/a00ca74faade3a8f82d0a5c0f889f54720191031141731/9130ba

Many thanks!

Hi, because your camera is directly aligned to the spline it will not follow the target  axis rotation animation. You could maybe use another camera for that part and constrain it in rotation to the object.

Or constrain the circle spline to the object rotation.

Also make sure your key frames set to linear interpolation.

• Topic Author

You could maybe use another camera for that part and constrain it in rotation to the object.

is there any way i can add one more  camera and merge it with the one i already have in a seamless way? so that the change isnt noticeable from one cam to the other?

Also, one more question regarding the Circle that the camera is following, I added a keyframe to the Position in Align to Spline. From 0% to 100% the camera completes a full circular movement, it can not move past 100% unless in the other direction, is there any way i can make the movement ongoingly in one direction?

1334787027_ScreenShot2019-10-31at8_10_56PM.thumb.png.c03bdb09496d81043f892c556f3ea9e4.png

58 minutes ago, AlexisB said:

is there any way i can add one more  camera and merge it with the one i already have in a seamless way? so that the change isnt noticeable from one cam to the other?

Not in the way I suspect you are imagining. You can use a stage object to swap cameras during an animation, and you can transition between one camera and another,  but there is no specific functionality I am aware of that will merge one with another...

However this problem is probably solvable with hierarchy. If you put the camera in a null, align the Null to the spline, then the camera can point wherever you tell it to (and will respect any target tag you may have going on) inside that null.

1 hour ago, AlexisB said:

Also, one more question regarding the Circle that the camera is following, I added a keyframe to the Position in Align to Spline. From 0% to 100% the camera completes a full circular movement, it can not move past 100% unless in the other direction, is there any way i can make the movement ongoingly in one direction?

R21 is the first version where that goes above 100% there. But you can always set the 'After' mode of that track to 'Continue'...

image.thumb.png.c73d1c1ec789e197bb7e78a858234e91.png

CBR

Here's some XPresso to loop past 100% on a spline.

xp_looper.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Thank you @Cerbera! will try it out

@jedthanks a lot for this! i've never worked with XPresso before though, how do i deal with this? do i just copy paste the Null Object into my C4D document and Link it to a specific layer? if yes which one do i link it to? The camera, circle or what exactly?

@AlexisB copy the XPresso null into your scene. Double click the XPresso tag to open the XPresso window. The nodes in XP are inputs on left, outputs on right.

The time node gives an integer for current frame. This is plugged into a math modulo that counts up to a number (the constant) then repeats eg modulo 5 would output

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 0, 1, 2 etc < note it never reaches 5 - resets to 0

dividing the modulo output by the actual modulo number gives a linear ramp from 0 >>> 1 repeating. This drives the align to spline position 50% = 0.5,  100% = 1 etc.

To connect the align node, I dragged the align tag into the window, clicked the blue square and selected position from the drop down menu to make a port. Then click and drag to make the connection. You can delete my align node and replace it with yours, but a quick shortcut is to just drag your align tag and drop it on top of the existing one. Either method is OK.

Adjust the constant value to fit your animation.