Sign in to follow this  
Seun

IK Rig and Smooth Pole Vector Animation?

Hello everyone,

So I'm working on a a project where I have to rig the surface going into some kind of "scrunch mode". It seemed logical to use IK for the rig so everything moves together. The problem I'm having is that the bend is happening in the wrong direction. I see that the issue is coming from position of the first and last joint, their starting position naturally creates a bend in the wrong direction which causes to the IK to bend in the wrong direction. I can't seem to figure out a work around for this. If i switch the pole vectors, things don't move like their supposed to, and I can't find a solution for animating the pole vector so it doesn't pop into place. I've also tried experiment with other methods other than IK, but the pieces don't track together when they're animated separately. I'm really lost on this one, so I'd appreciate some insight/help! 

The test file exceeded the upload limit, so here's a Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VfDq-591zFh42p39Rb_mAQIB8OqeJfle/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Seun

image1.jpg

image 2.jpg

Edited by Seun
updated objects in the project file to give more context

If you need the bend to go in opposite direction you can just bring the middle joint upward so it's Y value is higher then end points. Would be also good to name objects properly 🙂

For this kind of rig it is also good idea to use zeroed frozen values to be able to reset controls

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe