Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Open an Edge?

(If this is a duplicate, moderators, feel free to delete, but I didn't see it..... 🤔 )
I'm interested in finding the CORRECT way to accomplish the illustrated (see pic) mesh, instead of the clumsy, multi-step approach I'm using now.

I'd expect this to be called something like "Open Edge" or such, --I've seen it as "(Edge) Chamfer" in other apps.

::clicka clicka clicka::  I see that one can approach this with (Edge) Bevel, but it generates a bit more geometry than I'd prefer (the small triangles at the ends), and necessitates some Selection I'd be happier avoiding, so the original question still stands.

If Bevel is the way to go, is there a quick way to generate an outline of the generated edges as subd "holding edges"?  Tnx

openLine.png

In current example it is simple. Just select edges and press Disconnect. Then select polygons and scale them in one axis.

Trick with set selection before disconnecting don´t work because selection set is "auto-updated" with newly created edges

Another "non-direct" solution is selecting polygons on side what you want to move, with command Outline Selection select bounding edge loop around these polygons and manually delete all unnecessary edges and move only with newly created...

1 hour ago, jericsynrgy said:

is there a quick way to generate an outline of the generated edges as subd "holding edges"?

Ctrl+slide.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, bezo said:

In current example it is simple. Just select edges and press Disconnect. Then select polygons and scale them in one axis.

Trick with set selection before disconnecting don´t work because selection set is "auto-updated" with newly created edges

"Disconnect" doesn't appear for Edge selection, only Poly & Point.

Click-count wise, I think Bevel is going to be my workflow, since it's not too onerous selecting the affected polys with CTRL+IconClick.

grooves.png

10 hours ago, jericsynrgy said:

"Disconnect" doesn't appear for Edge selection, only Poly & Point.

It does in R21. I suppose it has been added after R17, although I don't remember when.

With R21 there is another interesting issue. Edge disconnect disconnects both end points of the edge in a way that the polygons parallel to the edge stay connected - both points are split into two points. Both. There is no way to split the edge at only one of them; you need to reconnect the other (unwanted) point after the split again.

Now you could disconnect that point. But then, this point doesn't split into two but four points (in a regular quad grid), so all edges that use this point are split. This is not a bug but perfectly fine with the GUI provided. Yet...

...I cannot select a single point and disconnect only along two edges. See the image:

DisconnectPolyEdgeVert_NoSinglePointOnEdge.thumb.jpg.27bd97fe09bd2116592d6d7e959c7808.jpg

On the top, this is a disconnected edge. On the front, there is a disconnected poly, and a disconnected point. On the right side (selected) is what I want. Note that no other points on this side are split (no two are in the same position but physically different).

Of course, the GUI philosophy doesn't support that, as the disconnect depends on your selection. To define the edge that the point should split, you need to select the edge; to define the point, you need to select the point directly. You would need something like "click on the polygon, and the edge closest and the point closest are defining direction and separation".

Speaking of, I could use a similar concept in selecting "one point of several that are at the same position". How did I live without that before...

Sorry, now I hijacked the thread...

2 hours ago, Cairyn said:

Sorry, now I hijacked the thread...

No no, you've added an interesting and remarkably 'on-topic' continuation of the discussion that makes some very valid points  ! 🙂

Of course the difficulty with designing a specific disconnect tool is exactly what you specified - for it to work in all circumstances you would have to define polys, points and edges, which is not only a lot of clicks and mode changes but could easily get very confusing. If I am after the result on the right in your post above I wouldn't use disconnect at all - I'd do knife, knife, move (snap) delete, which might sound like a lot, but is practically very quick to actually do and with some careful settings (autoweld and create ngons off specifically) the poly pen can do the same thing even faster. I find I don't have to do this manoeuvre much in day-to-day modelling, so it doesn't annoy me that this sort of thing is a bit of a few-clicks process.

What does annoy me slightly more is that there is no instant way to select one of say 5 coincident vertices - your related point (no pun intended) exactly ! It would be great if it could work like object selection does - ie if you just keep clicking you cycle through which point is selected, although we'd also need to display vertex numbers so we could see without recourse to the Structure Manager. Talking of which, at least Disconnect Point creates the duplicates in-place in the point order, and selects all the points, meaning you can easily see where they are in the Structure Panel, and select them individually from there if needed.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I don't have R21, but if DISCONNECT were a tool, like MOVE, instead of a command, a UI approach would be to have the user select the POLY, invoke the DISCONNECT TOOL, and have the tool highlight the Point, similar to how POLYGON PEN discriminates between points/edges/polys.  With only one polygon selected, the point would be disconnected only with the appropriate polys.

5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

It would be great if it could work like object selection does - ie if you just keep clicking you cycle through which point is selected, although we'd also need to display vertex numbers so we could see without recourse to the Structure Manager.

The difficulty here is that even if you would be able to cycle through the points - would you know what point is which? I don't know thousands of point indices by heart. So there must be some graphical indication what the point belongs to, like highlighting the polygons or edges it belongs to.

Which would STILL create difficulties if the polys themselves are coincident, like in a direct copy of polys.

Fact is, any manager working by indices is too cumbersome to use, and any concept using viewport hints is incomplete. (Although for starters, I would take the "near select" tool I described. I wonder if I should just program it.)

Since disconnecting point from mesh leads to open mesh and creating 4 separated points, maybe for programmer could add some conditions for disconnecting.

Something like this...

...before selecting point for disconnecting user need to select edges with this point just for knowing "opening" mesh will be in "this" direction and "dettached" will be only point in the middle of selected edges...

(and at the end select this point for later manipulation with)

Okay, since this issue bugged me, I have created a script that can select colocated points by pointing at the polygon in the proximity.

https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/107824-script-selectbyproximity-5-tier/

This is not a tool but a command, so it works with all tools, but it requires a keyboard shortcut to be applicable.