Sign in to follow this  
Tinkertoy

Clone a cylinder to each poly?

I meant to ask this last night. I'm away from my computer at the moment, but I got stumped last night trying to figure out how to clone one of these cylinders into the middle of each polygon on the surface. I think the reason I'm having extra trouble is because I don't want them right on the surface, but instead sticking through into the octahedron shape a short ways because I want to boole a bunch of divots out of it. I'm sure someone knows how to achieve this with very little headache.

Annotation 2019-11-04 170019.png

Create a cloner and simply clone onto the spheres polygon centers. Then you can convert the cloner and connect all the cylinders into single object and boole the sphere

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • But here's the problem. How do I get them facing out, so they'll make nice neat holes in each polygon? I tried adjust [up vector] and it just gives them other alignments that aren't helpful either.

Annotation 2019-11-04 205621.png

"Align Clone" checked, "Up Vector" None, "Distribution" Polygon Center - this will use the poly's surface normal to make the clone's z axis point outward. The cylinders need to be oriented in the z axis, naturally.

CloneToObjectSurface_01.jpg

CloneToObjectSurface_02.jpg

• Topic Author
  • That's what was wrong. My cylinders were oriented in the default Y+ axis. I wonder why they don't give you the option to check which orientation you'd like to use. Such a simple problem, but if you don't think of it because that's just how c4d defaults to making cylinders you'd never know.

1 hour ago, Tinkertoy said:

I wonder why they don't give you the option to check which orientation you'd like to use.

They do. See object attributes of the cylinder.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • well yeah, but I mean in the cloner HAHA. It just didn't dawn on me that you'd have to use the cylinder's orientation to direct how the clones went. now that I see it it's obvious, but I kept looking in the cloner settings for it. thanks for the help guys.

4 hours ago, Tinkertoy said:

well yeah, but I mean in the cloner HAHA.

Yep, you can do it in the cloner as well ! (Transform tab).

CBR