Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Blotchy mesh

This mesh is rendering surprisingly blotchy.  I haven't yet assigned materials, so what's the probable cause of this blotchiness?

blotch.png

Turkey_10CAFE.c4d

Hi

The issue is in your lights, you have soft shadows on.  Turn off Absolute Bias and it will smooth out, or drive up the Bias (Abs) distance, this will also clear it up.  For best results choose Area shadows.

Dan

This has nothing to do with your issue, but don't forget to optimize to remove all the stray isolated points from your model...

CBR

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

This has nothing to do with your issue, but don't forget to optimize to remove all the stray isolated points from your model...

CBR

Related to your answer @Cerbera, I was wondering if you know of a solution to losing all phong breaks after optimizing the points? I have found that if I optimize a bunch of points, when the points are welded together the resulting edges lose their phong break data?

Many thanks

11 minutes ago, Tim Whiteman said:

I was wondering if you know of a solution to losing all phong breaks after optimizing the points?

Interesting. That should only happen if the points that got changed by Optimize were part of phong broken edges - other edges should retain their phong breaks. I don't think there can be a solution to losing the edge breaks on points that comprise them because necessarily the point count and order must change; therefore the old selection no longer applies...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Absolute Bias (off) solved that issue.    The documentation for that makes my stomach churn.

Thanks for the tip!