Sign in to follow this  
Lucy Bradbury

Rigged Mixamo Character interact w.scene

Hello! 

I am fairly new to Cinema4D and trying to get a better understanding of mixamo character rigging and what's possible with it.

What I am trying to animate is a rigged mixamo character walking up a spiral staircase (which I've modelled). How do I link the walk cycle to the staircase so it follows the steps?

There are a lot of tutorials on using the constraint tag to parent objects to rigged characters but I don't know best practice for having rigged characters interacting with the scene. 

I have had a little look over the new mixamo control rig in R21 - if there is a better way to rig in this version, i'll download it as I've been trying to solve this problem for a while!

Would be good to get your advice!

Cheers,

Lucy

25 minutes ago, Lucy Bradbury said:

Hello! 

I am fairly new to Cinema4D and trying to get a better understanding of mixamo character rigging and what's possible with it.

What I am trying to animate is a rigged mixamo character walking up a spiral staircase (which I've modelled). How do I link the walk cycle to the staircase so it follows the steps?

There are a lot of tutorials on using the constraint tag to parent objects to rigged characters but I don't know best practice for having rigged characters interacting with the scene. 

I have had a little look over the new mixamo control rig in R21 - if there is a better way to rig in this version, i'll download it as I've been trying to solve this problem for a while!

Would be good to get your advice!

Cheers,

Lucy

Hi

The control rig in R21 will make a significant difference as unlike previouse versions of C4D you now have a way to control a Mixamo animation, Il explain further.

Its typical that Mixamo is a rig made for Mocap files, the ones that are supported can be applied directly from Mixamo main website.  Rigs that support mocap done have controlers, so they have limitations for manual animation.  1: no controllers to make selecting a joint easy 2: No IK 3: No advanced set up for hands, and forearm twists.  With the new Mixamo rig in R21 it gives you back some control so you can adjust the rig after a mocap file has been added.

Now to get the character to walk up stairs your either need to find a mocap file from Mixamo that has that action, or manually animate it yourself.  For this reason I would have made the stairs to conform to the mocap rather than the other way around, however you can adjust a Mixamo Mocap so each step his feet are at ground level on each step.  Constraining a foot to a step would be more work than manually adjusting each foot.  You could use C motion to set up a stair walk and use a spine, and generate step which can be adjusted, id do this if there was say a spiral staircase and had 1000 steps in which he needed to walk a certain path.  Your need access to Cinevercity to get to grips with this process.

Moving past Mixamo rigs if you use a biped rig that has IK then lifting that foot would be very easy to animate, this is another option, and easier to get set up initially for cmotion if you wanted to go that route as all you have to do is press the walk button for th preset biped rig, then adjust the cmotion settings..

Dan