Sign in to follow this  
daddycoull

sucking at creating metal textures

As the title states I suck a making metal textures especially if they are coloured like the metal in the attached images.  How would I created the yellow and black coloured metal in the image?

Thanks

for c4dcafe.jpg

Most of the characteristics of metal surfaces don't apply here because it is painted metal, so actually all we really need is a flat matte surface.

For that I would do only color and reflectance channels. The first is self explanatory, but for reflectance you want GGX or Beckmann,  a roughness of around 50-60%, a dielectric fresnel, no (or not much) specular, and reflection strength of around 100%, but at around 30% in the layer strength. And that should be all you need, other than decent lighting in your scene and something for reflections to catch...

CBR

To add to that, if you want to make it really photorealistic you will have to add a bump or normalmap with ever so tiny bumps / irregularities in the material and you'll also need some kind of roughness variaton. Fingerprints, slightly more worn look and maybe even chipped parts where the bare metal is visible.

This all depends on the wear level of the material though but even if you do a shiny new product rendering I'd recommend getting some small amount of grunge into the material.

• Topic Author
  • On 11/8/2019 at 11:40 AM, Cerbera said:

Most of the characteristics of metal surfaces don't apply here because it is painted metal, so actually all we really need is a flat matte surface.

For that I would do only color and reflectance channels. The first is self explanatory, but for reflectance you want GGX or Beckmann,  a roughness of around 50-60%, a dielectric fresnel, no (or not much) specular, and reflection strength of around 100%, but at around 30% in the layer strength. And that should be all you need, other than decent lighting in your scene and something for reflections to catch...

CBR

Thanks for this has given me a good base to start from.

• Topic Author
  • On 11/8/2019 at 3:41 PM, DasFrodo said:

To add to that, if you want to make it really photorealistic you will have to add a bump or normalmap with ever so tiny bumps / irregularities in the material and you'll also need some kind of roughness variaton. Fingerprints, slightly more worn look and maybe even chipped parts where the bare metal is visible.

This all depends on the wear level of the material though but even if you do a shiny new product rendering I'd recommend getting some small amount of grunge into the material.

Things like dirt, scratches, fingerprints would go in the diffusion material slot yeah?  We've recently moved to PC so no longer have access to the mac free crazy bump.  Are there any decent tutorials out there to make your own normal maps?

18 minutes ago, daddycoull said:

Things like dirt, scratches, fingerprints would go in the diffusion material slot yeah?  We've recently moved to PC so no longer have access to the mac free crazy bump.  Are there any decent tutorials out there to make your own normal maps?

No, stuff like fingerprints go into the roughness of the reflectance. So do scratches but they might also be in the normalchannel, depending on how severe they are. I recommend reading up on PBR shading if you want to up your game when it comes to this. Here's a very, very good tutorials for this: https://academy.substance3d.com/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-1

For texturing nowadays I'd recommend the Substance Tools or 3DCoat.

5 hours ago, daddycoull said:

Are there any decent tutorials out there to make your own normal maps?

NormalMap-Online is not a bad option.

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Lonchaney said:

NormalMap-Online is not a bad option.

wow that looks good, thanks for the link!

• Topic Author
  • For anyone that's interested here's an initial render of my finished model. 

ASCO VNA Forklift test.png

1 hour ago, daddycoull said:

For anyone that's interested here's an initial render of my finished model. 

ASCO VNA Forklift test.png

That looks great! The only thing that bothers me is that the logos on the yellow material have no reflectivity / roughness difference and I think they would have that.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, DasFrodo said:

That looks great! The only thing that bothers me is that the logos on the yellow material have no reflectivity / roughness difference and I think they would have that.

Thanks, yes that makes sense! I'll get that sorted, thanks again.