Sign in to follow this  
DavideBianch

Extrude in R20 not behaving like R17

Hello all,

I've noticed that extruding a part in R20 extrudes at a different distance than in R17. In R17, a 1 cm extrude, for example, will extrude all parts in my scene the same distance. However, when I open the same scene file in R20 and try extruding part 1 cm, some parts extrude 1 cm, but other barely extrude .05 cm.

See screenshots below.

The first image is the 1cm extrude in R17 (as expected). the second image is the 1cm extrude on the exact same part in R20 (barely a sliver).

Why would there be this inconsistency in R20? Is it a bug, or a scaling setting that I am missing for that part? 

Thanks,

Davide

R17 extrude.png

R20 extrude issue.png

In your project settings what the scene scale set to, are they both the same in each version of C4D?

Dan

From screenshot is visible different scale. First image has grid spacing 100 cm, second one 1000 cm...

• Topic Author
  • @Rectro @bezo

The project scale is 1cm in both R17 and R20. Grid spacing appears to be the same for both, but I'm not sure. It looks like it changes from 1,000cm to 100cm depending on if C4D is maximized or not.

Note this extrude problem does not occur on every object in my scene, only certain objects. Other objects in the scene extrude normally in R20. It's only a few that act weird like this. So I'm thinking its not a global property, more likely an object property? 

-Davide

project scale.png

I really need the scene file or part of it.  Only thing I cant check is I dont have r17 installed no more.  The only thing I can do to invoke this behaviour is to change the scene scale.What happens if you copy the object and paste it into a new blank scene?

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, Rectro said:

I really need the scene file or part of it.  Only thing I cant check is I dont have r17 installed no more.  The only thing I can do to invoke this behaviour is to change the scene scale.What happens if you copy the object and paste it into a new blank scene?

Dan

@Rectro  you're a genius. I tried copying the object into a blank scene and, low and behold, it extrudes normally! So then I copied all the objects to a blank scene, and it again is extruding normally. So weird. 

I have no idea what changed in my scene file to cause this, but it seems using a new scene file resolves the issue. This was a huge headache, so thankful it is resolved!

-Davide