Sign in to follow this  
Cerbera

Carcharadon Carcharias

Bit of downtime to play with, so I'm making myself a Great White Shark, surely a landmark build in any modelling career. It's easy enough to build a rubbish shark, stop at the outline, whack a wind deformer on it and call that done, but I hope it's a rather a more interesting and rewarding process to really nail the forms and to progress to the inside, the UVing, sculpting, texturing and animation for what I hope will end up a near-as-dammit photo real model. And what better of all the sharks we could make than the good old classic the Great White. Thought about doing Megalodon, but for a small gain in size it's a much less attractive shark 🙂. I'll be doing a 5m long young adult female.

Rather than making a whole tutorial I thought I'd post the main stages, so having gathered a sh**-ton of reference, here's the first one... 

Modelling the base mesh

1. Establishing Primary Loops

1942732475_1StartLoops.thumb.jpg.82a0c14e282323f381b98747185dfe64.jpg

Started with sliced 9 segment cylinders and symmetry, a 12 sided eye disc and some poly pen action for the start to the mouth loops.

Each ring is a separate (editable) model at this point for easy isolation and tweaking. 

2. Forming the body, expanding the head...

1b.thumb.jpg.75a0f0e8cddd0bd87f70780e5f4915bd.jpg

Bridged the primary body loops together and tweaked to define the main hull, and extended jaw flow up above the eye and toward the nose.

3. Completing the (outer) head...

723522375_2Head.thumb.jpg.51d8602f92c4c0b92d14838bd7bb17f7.jpg

Completed the primary head topology (minus the nostril) making sure I had 18 segments at the neck to bridge to the body...

Also starting to define the characteristic upper jaw overhang / crease that will start to make this look like a proper Great White, as opposed to a more 'general' shark with unrealistic pacman-style jaws, like those really basic models you see around in tutorials here and there...

At this point the eye rim discs went down to just 6 segs, giving me the 12 I want when later subdivided to L1.

4. Adding Fins and refining base mesh.

1078867700_3BaseMeshOuter.thumb.jpg.33da3db942f1ffbf2fa444ba7a3d945c.jpg

Adding the fins and tail (the former of which were all started from circular edge flows), together with 3 additional loops for the gills and adding nostrils to the head completes the outer shell. I am leaving the jaws, movable gums and teeth for the inside at the next stage. At the density I modelled it we are at 716 polys  (all the quads) so far (not including symmetry or SDS).

We will need 1 level of subdivision to take it to base target base mesh density, as this isn't quite enough to hold the inner detail, and secondary forms.

1194250482_4TargetBaseDensity.thumb.jpg.9e3003b388a68a45e3e6154c47b66320.jpg

Above is that mesh awaiting that additional tweaking and an inside...

5.thumb.jpg.8ac4d4f4fe2f36214e404700f3c5d22f.jpg

Next post will be when I've modelled the inside, which is a bit more challenging...

CBR

54 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Bit of downtime to play with, so I'm making myself a Great White Shark, surely a landmark build in any modelling career. It's easy enough to build a rubbish shark, stop at the outline, whack a wind deformer on it and call that done, but I hope it's a rather a more interesting and rewarding process to really nail the forms and to progress to the inside, the UVing, sculpting, texturing and animation for what I hope will end up a near-as-dammit photo real model. And what better of all the sharks we could make than the good old classic the Great White. Thought about doing Megalodon, but for a small gain in size it's a much less attractive shark 🙂. I'll be doing a 5m long young adult female.

Next post will be when I've modelled the inside, which is a bit more challenging...

CBR

Very nice indeed!

Looking great so far.  I also like to take the route of putting in the foundation essential loops first then fill in the gaps.  I agree with what your saying about quality.  Its rather easy to get a basic shark shape, but to make it look real its a lot more work. The Gills, Nostril, Eyes,gums and teeth are where the detail show, thats a lot of anatomy study to get it right.  Been quite a while since iv done any personal projects, good to see you doing one.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • I've done the next bit, which was

Stage 2: modelling the inside...

This might look like a weird undersea slug, but it's the base mesh for the outer gums, inner gills and stomach, all of which might be visible when our shark's mouth is open.

26951912_6Inside.thumb.jpg.cf3e41816abbd1a6e2bc360a860c883e.jpg

I've made selections for the entire outer and inner parts so I can easily hide and get to inner polys to refine the model. I have other selections for hiding upper and lower jaws, which will help when sculpting these inner surfaces later. At the moment I haven't built in any musculature, or the very complex meshing of the gums, muscle meatus, tendons and surrounding cartilage, but I will change that bit next at the same time as I make the teeth and gum sections, which are going to begin and remain separate poly islands within the single model.

I've also setup cameras inside the mouth so I can quickly get in there and see for my edits.

190644916_7throatcam.thumb.jpg.624d4b25dfbece7bbbd5f56a6d53a080.jpg

1266561328_8cutaway.thumb.jpg.532f7bceb0cdc316462344c9317e26cc.jpg 

I've also spent a while refining the outer form and redistibuting loops, and have added some fins, and all the details I was missing on the lower flanks.

So, having done all I can at this level of subdivision it's time to apply SDS L1, re-establish symmetry, and add some finer detail and muscle accents before

we tackle UVing and the main sculpt. I do have to be careful about order of operation, but when modelling is complete I do have the option to rig and animate before I sculpt and texture, and will probably do that so I can see if moving early on which will help my look dev...

Talking of which I have already begun testing scene sets with caustics, godrays and particles so I can drop our shark into a suitable scene for material test renders. I've decided most shots of her are going to be at around 10-20 meters deep in open ocean, where light and rays are just starting to fall off. The pic below is about the general target light levels, though god rays and particles will add more variation...

1641914410_9Topologytweaks.thumb.jpg.d972c04de16cc917152a2b531ac30ca4.jpg

CBR

I kinda used this same method when modelling Cubones skull.

This is amazing!  It actually looks like a great white even before texturing, you've nailed the shape perfectly. 

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, daddycoull said:

This is amazing!  It actually looks like a great white even before texturing, you've nailed the shape perfectly. 

Thank you dude. Still got to add the raggedness round the fins, a lot of which will be handled by geo rather than sculpting, but pretty happy with the main form so far.

I am starting to look at movement now. For anyone also building a great white, here is possibly the most helpful set of shots you could find in that regard, certainly for the movements where the shark is not hunting, which are surprisingly slow, graceful and languorous - very hypnotic and trance-inducing to look at when you're having a break from the modellings...

CBR

Looking good mate, look forward to seeing the next update! Been ages since I managed to do any more work on my personal projects, so it's nice to see you still cracking them out 😄

• Topic Author
  • Still working on this, but have decided I haven't got the inside of the mouth right yet, so am redoing that.  Fortunately we do live in an age where even the most specific and hard-to-come-by reference shots have been uploaded somewhere or other. Thought I'd share this incredible video for example, where a white shark actually takes a 360 degree camera into its mouth for a little 'taste test' which has been most helpful in that you can pause while the camera is in its jaws and look around ! Cam-eating shark arrives at about 2 mins in.

I am also doing animation and movement tests, and the character object is doing a pretty decent job so far, though it is proving quite difficult to work out where exactly the 'central pivot point should be for a) the body in its basic swim motion and b) the lower jaw and snout when it opens its mouth.

CBR