Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Rotating polys around local axes

In the attached image I'd like to simultaneously rotate the selected polys such that they are more perpendicular to the extensions they are at the end of.

All by the same amount, but obviously all around different centers and at different but equivalent angles.

How does one do that?  Thanks.

polygonIsland.png

Regular Rotate tool, with modelling axis set as follows...

image.png.925141e111e4a917ba41067c1523edfc.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • That's..... interesting, but not quite what I need.  The rotation is hard to describe, although it is all separate, but not what I'm looking for: what I'm seeking is: as if there were a rotation gizmo at the normal of each selected poly, and the polys were rotated on one of the two axes that AREN'T the normal.

Here's the object in question: there's a poly selection set for ease of selecting.

Thanks for your help.

Test Object - normals.c4d

While C4D can work from the normal of each "combined" selection, the centre axis always remains according to the collective selections rather than the individual selection axis reagarding its tool handle location.  What your describing is how MODO works.  When modelling in MODO you can select the normal action centre and the handle will jump to one of the polygon selections so you can model from its local position while the other polygon selections replicate what your doing locally,  C4D cant do this.  The only way I know to get the same out come is to use the 3 separate tools  Normal Move, Rotate, Scale.  The handles wont jump to one of the selections, but the outcome is the same.

These are areas including Symmetry where C4D needs a update or two.  A radial symmetry even which currently is in the sculpting tool set but not for modelling..

Dan

Another way to go would be to split the model into 8 radial sections, preserve 1 and use an array or cloner to get the rest - then you could manually move 1 edge, or rotate 1 poly and fix them all at the same time.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I definitely approached this the wrong way to do so, but was just free-forming it, w/o a specific goal at the beginning.

So, there's no "polygon island" type functionality, without addon$?