Sign in to follow this  
Twizzle

Phong issue

Hi all not sure what's happening here but I'm having some issues with a UV map that's showing the joints on the map that seems to correct its self when the phong shading is turned off, which is not ideal. Any thoughts on what maybe causing this...

many thanks

Tony

Phong OFF.jpg

Phong ON.jpg

Did you do an optimize?

Or an 'align normals' ?

Switch 'use edge breaks' in the phong tag off?

• Topic Author
  • Sorry should have given more info sorry. I'm importing the model as a .obj file and get this error. I've done the same with other software but I don't get the same error which I thought was strange. The model was originally exported from 3dCoat if this helps but I still confused as to why I get this error in C4D and not other packages so I thought I must be missing something 😞  I assumed it was something to do with the UV map?

I have seen this issue before with imported objects, and it has definitely come up on the cafe at some point in the last 2 years. But I can't find it now, or remember if it had a solution or not. I have a nagging feeling though that Cinema was indeed the only app that shows the seams in these circumstances.

Did this model come with a Normal Tag ? And what were your import settings ? And was it available in any other formats ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yeah it came with one but doesn't seem to make a difference if I keep it or delete it. As for the settings I tend to use the default ones... thanks for the reply 

Untitled-1.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 30 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I have seen this issue before with imported objects, and it has definitely come up on the cafe at some point in the last 2 years. But I can't find it now, or remember if it had a solution or not. I have a nagging feeling though that Cinema was indeed the only app that shows the seams in these circumstances.

Did this model come with a Normal Tag ? And what were your import settings ? And was it available in any other formats ?

CBR

It's a personal project so I can PM you the file if it helps...

I can certainly take a look, but I am no great expert on importing stuff, so may well not be able to solve it...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I can certainly take a look, but I am no great expert on importing stuff, so may well not be able to solve it...

CBR

Tried to send it to you and it says that you can't receive messages?

You probably can't send anything big over messenger. Could u pm me a dropbox link ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You probably can't send anything big over messenger. Could u pm me a dropbox link ?

CBR

sent you a link thanks again 

Is that white material some texture or pure color?

Nope I can't solve that, but do confirm it happens even in latest Beta builds and is specifically related to the normal map. I will report that to MAXON if needs be. Do send it to @bezo too - the more eyes on this the better...

CBR