Sign in to follow this  
daddycoull

VNA Forklift Rigging help (updated)

Hi there,

I recently modelled a very narrow aisle forklift.  I'm wanting to rig it up, but its a bit tricky.  I've got a video of it working, which can be seen here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/u98tyuk004hqhjp/Video 22-10-2019%2C 15 52 50.mov?dl=0), the link is safe. 

I've uploaded a .c4d file with the basic shapes and pieces that move.  What's got me stumped is the chains and how they interact with the parts moving on the y axis.  They seem to expand along the y-axis as the turret moves up and down and the unit moves up and down. I've uploaded the Forklift Chains part of my model so you can see how it's set out. 

Also I hope this is in the right forum thread!

Thanks a bunch,

Mark

VNA Forklift for c4dcafe.c4d

Forklift Chains c4dcafe.c4d

Most of it I would rig up with joints.  Get them in the right order and it should all work exactly the same as the real thing.  With the chain part get it along a spline then either hand key in when it moves along that spline or xpresso it so it moves in relative space along the spline as the one joint moves.

This looks like a very complex mechanism. You have; chains,pulleys,hydraulics, and cables. to realistically animate it in closeup shoots you will need a mechanical knowledge  of how each part affect the other, But if you just want to animate it from a long shoot you can use xpresso for the parts that move up and down and side ways, and coordinate them to synchronise with chain and Polly's movements using Mospline.

• Topic Author
  • 40 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

This looks like a very complex mechanism. You have; chains,pulleys,hydraulics, and cables. to realistically animate it in closeup shoots you will need a mechanical knowledge  of how each part affect the other, But if you just want to animate it from a long shoot you can use xpresso for the parts that move up and down and side ways, and coordinate them to synchronise with chain and Polly's movements using Mospline.

yeah totally understand that.  The general movement I understand, but what's got me stumped is how to animate the chains.  Like I know how to 'animate' a chain, but I can't think of how to animate it in the way it's shown in the video.

It looks like the chain expands along the y axis when the fork turret moves up and down and the whole unit moves up and down.  I'll update my OP as that's my main road block. 

1 hour ago, daddycoull said:

yeah totally understand that.  The general movement I understand, but what's got me stumped is how to animate the chains.  Like I know how to 'animate' a chain, but I can't think of how to animate it in the way it's shown in the video.

It looks like the chain expands along the y axis when the fork turret moves up and down and the whole unit moves up and down.  I'll update my OP as that's my main road block. 

I don't think the chain expands. If you look at this picture it looks like the chain is open end, one end attached to the base of the hydraulic piston  and the other to the top of the hydraulic . As the hydraulic piston moves upwards the chain is shorthand moving up on the pulleys and pulling the fork upwards.  see picture:

forklift-hydrolic-cylinder.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

I don't think the chain expands. If you look at this picture it looks like the chain is open end, one end attached to the base of the hydraulic piston  and the other to the top of the hydraulic . As the hydraulic piston moves upwards the chain is shorthand moving up on the pulleys and pulling the fork upwards.  see picture:

Ahhhh, ok now that I see how it works.  Now need to figure out how to make the chain animation.  would I animated the spline bend on the y axis as the piston pushes the fork upwards? hope I make sense with what I've written haha. 

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

I just tried what I written in my reply and it works, ace now to rig this thing, with me luck!

Good luck.😅

• Topic Author
  • Just now, digitvisions said:

Good luck.😅

I'll post a video of it once I'm done!

• Topic Author
  • For anyone that's interested the rigged chain. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljp19y7qshecu8l/Video 13-11-2019%2C 14 18 06.mov?dl=0 (link is safe).

My chain was created with an object, a spline and a cloner.  I then made the spline dynamic.  Using rectangular splines I created the points to attach the spline to.  Red were points that didn't move and the green one was the driving force behind the animation.  I created user data for the green rectangle moving on the y axis and the turret object (which had the forks too) to also move up and down on the y axis.  Using xpresso I created the animation controls.  I then animated their sliders together, which gives you the finished movement in the video. 

If there is a simpler way to do this I'm all ears.

For a chain/s in my very old project, model "Balcancar EV 654" forklift I was used simple bend deformer. position driven by small expresso with range mappers, nothing special...

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, bezo said:

For a chain/s in my very old project, model "Balcancar EV 654" forklift I was used simple bend deformer. position driven by small expresso with range mappers, nothing special...

My set-up for my chain, is bascially an object in a cloner, following a spline, then using xpresso to drive it.