Sign in to follow this  
Yarko

RENDER SLOW

Hello, i am new using octane render. I am working on a typical interior scene, not big...but my render time is SO SLOW.
As you can see on the attached image the max samples are 300 and the render time is about 35 minutes.

What am i doing wrong ???

I use a GTX 980 Ti 6 GB
Cinema 4D r20
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2
Mac Pro 3,3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Thanks.
Yarko

octane.jpg

My guess is you are lighting the scene from only tiny recessed lights or lights that are fully or mostly behind some kind of SSS, transparent, or semi transparent material.  This would make the scene hard to render for any render engine.  In that case there is only a very small number of paths that lead to a contribution in the scene.  If it's only lit with light coming from behind a SSS mat most of the paths cancel in the SSS mat.  Behind a transparent mat that has refraction it has to first calculate the path the light takes when bending through the transparent mat.  This makes the scene take forever to render.

12 hours ago, Fastbee said:

My guess is you are lighting the scene from only tiny recessed lights or lights that are fully or mostly behind some kind of SSS, transparent, or semi transparent material.  This would make the scene hard to render for any render engine.  In that case there is only a very small number of paths that lead to a contribution in the scene.  If it's only lit with light coming from behind a SSS mat most of the paths cancel in the SSS mat.  Behind a transparent mat that has refraction it has to first calculate the path the light takes when bending through the transparent mat.  This makes the scene take forever to render.

No, I don't think so. There's something else really, really wrong because I've never seen Octane coming even close to as low as 0.1 Ms/sec. My hobbyist workstation at home has a GTX 1070 and I've never seen anything lower than around 6 Ms/sec and that scene was full of SSS an glass with dispersion.

@Yarko Do you have the newest studio ready driver installed? Is your Octane Plug-In and Standalone up to date?

EDIT: Just noticed that the VRAM isn't even fully utilized and Octane already uses out-of-core data, almost 1,5GB of it. VRAM is only utilized up to 1.7GB while still having almost a GB free. There is something seriously wrong with some part of the software here.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks to all for your answers !!!!
    I have all plugins upgraded with latest versions.
    I think my scene is not so big, i see on youtube a lot of examples more complexes than mine and the render is so fast.
    I know i have an old graphic card, but...35 minutes to render that ???

Well...Finally i installed VRay for C4D. I think i will cancel my subscription to Ocane.
    Yarko.

Well Octane is an unbiased pathtracer. They do naturally struggle with complex indoor scenes and such things. On the other hand you get a completely physically correct calculation, and that shows. 45min for one frame is not unheard of and certainly not with a two generations old GPU, even though it was powerful at the time. The 2080 Ti is twice as fast as the 980 Ti.