Sign in to follow this  
FLima

R21 Hair and Subdivision Surface Bug

Hello! I've encountered a bug that has been driving me crazy over the past weeks.
Basically when you create a polygon, and apply hair to it, it will follow the curviness of the polygon, if it has sharp edges (a cube), the hair will have a cube-ish overall shape...
But when you put this polygon on a subdivision surface, the hair is follows the new subdivided polygon and it will have a more rounded shape too.
This is not working as intended in R21. Sometimes it will behave as mentioned above, and sometimes it will not, depending on the number of polygons, etc..(seems arbitrary, I tried many things to see what is causing this bug)

I use Redshift and Octane render, but it is also happening in Standard and Prorender.

PS: Is there a schedule for a new update for C4D? This is very frustrating.. there are bugs since launch that hasnt been fixed yet, and no updates ever since? 
The edge dissolve bug for instance, it is extremely annoying, making us spend extra time on fixing the points left behind every time 😞

BugTest_HairA.jpg

BugTest_HairB.jpg

There is no software anywhere in the world that I am aware of (and certainly not anything of Cinemas depth and complexity) that is 100% free of bugs. But I understand the frustration. Please upload the scene file and I will make sure this gets reported for you, and see if I can see a workaround in the meantime. Bugs are being addressed all the time, and of course there will be updates for R21 that contain fixes in due course.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I didnt mean to imply that C4D should be free of bugs 100%, and I am aware the pontential for new things to arise with a new version increases dramatically.
    But because of this new subscription model, I thought that things would be a bit more streamlined you know? I dont mean to diminish the efforts on software development.
    Im just stuck in a bit of a limbo now, since this is my main source of income.. and I cant proceed with the character I need to deliver next week... and because of this new license model, I cant  download the previous version of R20 and be able to finish my project... so... Im a bit lost and a bit desperate to be honest.

About the report, I opened a ticket also on MAXON's website, but I will upload later on today here also.

Thanks CBR

Thanks. Is it absolutely vital that the SDS happens at rendertime ? Could you not apply the SDS, and then add the hair ? If that makes it unfeasible to animate, what about applying just 1 level of subdivision to the base mesh, applying hair to that, and then using  another SDS over the top ? That might give you enough curvature to avoid the problem ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Thanks. Is it absolutely vital that the SDS happens at rendertime ? Could you not apply the SDS, and then add the hair ? If that makes it unfeasible to animate, what about applying just 1 level of subdivision to the base mesh, applying hair to that, and then using a another SDS over the top ?

CBR

I will run these tests now. But yeah, the character I've created is low poly initially since it has to be animated, so easier to adjust weights and etc. If i subdivided the model on core level, there will be lots of polygons to deal with and adjust, so I cant do that. 

But yeah, I will test this subdivision with 1 level, and another one on top. I will report later on today.

I appreciate you trying to help me CBR. Thanks for that!

• Topic Author
  • Crisis averted CBR 🙂
    I dont know what happened, i did the change with SDS, placed one inside the other, and changed some settings here and there on their options, and now it works 🙂
    it was working by default on C4D R18, but this now fixes my problem, and saves my project!! Thanks! 

Excellent - always nice to hear when a plan works and days get saved, and even nicer when OP thinks to mark their thread solved ! Gold standard forum-ing there my friend 🙂

CBR