Sign in to follow this  
Cerbera

Fish Rigging - Character Object Question

Hey animation whizzkids.

I'm very new at all this character animation lark, and so am cheating initially and using the Character Rig to make my learning curves less vertical. I have a question about using the fish rig in the aforementioned Character Object, if anyone would be so kind as to show me the way...

When I add my IK Spine component it comes in with 8 joints, which is probably not enough for what I am doing (white shark with very tight turning circle). What's the best of way of say, doubling that number, but keeping everything else about the setup the same ?

Cheers

CBR

Hi Jay

Personally I would have thought that 8 was enough as if you add it as a FK spine and select all controllers, then rotate with the option for rotation set to "per object manipulation", your see that the spine does have a very good curve.  failing  that it would be a reasonable easy job to rig from scratch.

Dan

fish 2.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Oh OK, you've convinced me; that's a nice tight curve 🙂.  Kinda wanna use an IK spine though so I can get the main swim motion automatically, but as long as that can bend that much where it has to (main controller will be following a spline path I imagine) that should be totally OK. Cheers Dan. 

CBR

You could setup a simple controler slider with the FK rig so you can control over how much and when the tail moves.

jMpY8VY.gif

Dan

tail exp.jpg

• Topic Author
  • That's excellent 🙂 Might well end up doing that, as I am getting a lot of 'spine drift' as it moves along the spline, and although I can get pretty close, no controls in the IK dynamics seem to be able to fix it 100%, whereas this would.

CBR

Hi Jay, as Dan already demonstrated you can get  plenty of flexibility with the 8 joints, but should you need  to add joints to any of the character object rigs you do it with the full list opened and using the joints tool. see the extra joints in orange in the screen capture. 

iShowU HD.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Thanks DV - I found the joint tool now, where you can use Shift to split existing joints into smaller ones (without breaking hierarchy), which is what I need to do for the head., as the whole top front end should bend upwards as its mouth opens, and the head joint in the fish rig does need more flexibility than its single joint can provide...

CBR