Sign in to follow this  
Bastardfilms

Modelling Material corner folds

Hello guys, i need to model an upholster cube for putting textures on it, i need the 4 corners to look like the image attached, the last one with the fold. 

And i dont know how to proceed with it, anyone have some tips please? its urgent 😅, thanks a lot

doblar-esquinas-tapizado-silla-300x279.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Retitled for later searchability

Yep, that can all be handled by regular SDS poly modelling.

Start with a cube of the right dimensions, 8 x 6 x 8 then make editable. 

Then select these edges and disconnect them.

image.thumb.png.474d1b007017a8959b825f6c2f54d53f.png

Now move these polys out and down a bit...

image.thumb.png.16daf32e939dca1d6cd742564afb8e31.png

Then select these edges and ctrl-drag them under bottom of the model, then scale in slightly...

image.thumb.png.6966eea1cc0b9503f943cd373942da6d.png

...and do the same with the other side of the corner... ctrl dragging inside the flap first a tiny amount (control edge) then a lot further, then a small amount again to finish.

image.thumb.png.b472ece4018f6290e5a235b0640e34d5.png   image.thumb.png.a47c7f5c775a1118b482f639ce1a6c77.png 

Now we just need to add SDS control loops like so...

image.thumb.png.344ef3959897db7ff3246105ad17c330.png

Select all polys and add negative thickness with Extrude, invert the Normals then fix the inevitable intersection to get something like this, which you can tweak into the shape you need.... if you find you are struggling to do that you could try adding the thickness before you do control loops, which will simplify things a bit.

image.thumb.png.abde9369471c38879b173eb200a87c03.png 

Then you can delete all but one quadrant, and use double symmetry to do all the remaining corners, followed by SDS to get the smoothness.

CBR

Slightly refined version, with less control lops for nicer corners...

image.thumb.png.7e8aad363807482d970b86b18c0f9bdb.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 56 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yep, that can all be handled by regular SDS poly modelling.

Start with a cube of the right dimensions, 8 x 6 x 8 then make editable. 

Then select these edges and disconnect them.

image.thumb.png.474d1b007017a8959b825f6c2f54d53f.png

Now move these polys out and down a bit...

image.thumb.png.16daf32e939dca1d6cd742564afb8e31.png

Then select these edges and ctrl-drag them under bottom of the model, then scale in slightly...

image.thumb.png.6966eea1cc0b9503f943cd373942da6d.png

...and do the same with the other side of the corner... ctrl dragging inside the flap first a tiny amount (control edge) then a lot further, then a small amount again to finish.

image.thumb.png.b472ece4018f6290e5a235b0640e34d5.png   image.thumb.png.a47c7f5c775a1118b482f639ce1a6c77.png 

Now we just need to add SDS control loops like so...

image.thumb.png.344ef3959897db7ff3246105ad17c330.png

Select all polys and add negative thickness with Extrude, invert the Normals then fix the inevitable intersection to get something like this, which you can tweak into the shape you need.... if you find you are struggling to do that you could try adding the thickness before you do control loops, which will simplify things a bit.

image.thumb.png.abde9369471c38879b173eb200a87c03.png 

Then you can delete all but one quadrant, and use double symmetry to do all the remaining corners, followed by SDS to get the smoothness.

CBR

Hi cerbera¡ thanks a lot for the tutorial, but i cant pass from the disconnect step. I have tried with edges polygons and points and they dont behave like yours, wich command are you typing? im doing the disconnect tool, but nothing happens, they dont behave like yours. Cant you post a screenshot of the command please? looks awesome¡

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Slightly refined version, with less control lops for nicer corners...

image.thumb.png.7e8aad363807482d970b86b18c0f9bdb.png

CBR

My god looks exactly like the photo¡ i know that im asking too much, i will follow the tutorial myself to learn how to do it, but cant you pass me this model so i can tell my boss that i will deliver on time? sorry for asking this, if you dont want i will understand. Modelling its not my strong point in 3d

I have to go out now, so don't have time to help further tonight. But I can maybe save you a bit of work if I just give you the model.

Material Folds.c4d

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I have to go out now, so don't have time to help further tonight. But I can maybe save you a bit of work if I just give you the model.

Material Folds.c4d 268.89 kB · 0 downloads

CBR

Daam thanks a lot Cerbera¡¡, i will do your tutorial aswell to learn how to do it proper myself, when you can if you can show me that command screenshot so i will follow it like you did. Thanks again¡¡

I used Disconnect from the r-click menu in edge mode. That does work, but unfortunately leaves both edges (or points) selected so they continue to appear joined when moved even though they are not. You can use the structure manager to see which points you have selected and to deselect the ones you don't.

CBR